- Table View
- List View
Who is Alar the Thief? What has happened to his memory? What is the origin of his strange powers? Is he the same man who stepped out of a mysterious space ship that crashed on Earth five years before an identical ship was scheduled to leave? And what of Keiris, the mysterious dark-eyed woman who hides Alar from his enemies? Who is behind the Meganet mind--a servant or destroyer of the dictatorship? What role are these people to play in upsetting the totalitarian Imperium that now strives to rule Earth in this grim year of 2177.
Rings Charles L. Harness In 1998, NESFA Press published An Ornament to His Profession, a collection of the short SF of Charles L. Harness. This year we are proud to present Rings, an omnibus of four SF novels by the same author. The extravagantly symmetrical selections in this omnibus were chosen to spotlight Harness' dazzling "ring" stories. These powerful works display the momentous themes spoken of in NESFA's previous Harness collection--transformation, change, transcendence, evolution. . . destruction and rebirth, death and transfiguration. . . grand beginnings and epic endings . . . . Rings contains three previously-published novels, The Paradox Men, The Ring of Ritornel, and Firebird that loop through space-time, and a new work, Drunkard's Endgame, that accomplishes the same dizzying feats as its predecessors. Baroque space-time opera at its best! Charles Harness was born in Texas in 1915. He has degrees in chemistry and law, and worked as a patent lawyer in Connecticut and Washington D.C. for more than thirty-five years. He was first published in 1947, and he is still producing exciting and refreshing science fiction tales. During this impressive time span, he produced eleven novels and more than thirty shorter works. His stories are characterized by Byzantine plots and myriad baroque ideas, through which serious social themes are woven. He writes about love and transcendence, humanity and hope. Read and enjoy the NESFA Press selection of four novels by Charles Harness. ... And bring your sense of wonder along for the ride.
When is a robot truly conscious? How can a small businesswoman and a smart lawyer defeat a huge corporation and a corrupt judge. Very good science fiction.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.