- Table View
- List View
Who is Alar the Thief? What has happened to his memory? What is the origin of his strange powers? Is he the same man who stepped out of a mysterious space ship that crashed on Earth five years before an identical ship was scheduled to leave? And what of Keiris, the mysterious dark-eyed woman who hides Alar from his enemies? Who is behind the Meganet mind--a servant or destroyer of the dictatorship? What role are these people to play in upsetting the totalitarian Imperium that now strives to rule Earth in this grim year of 2177.
Rings Charles L. Harness In 1998, NESFA Press published An Ornament to His Profession, a collection of the short SF of Charles L. Harness. This year we are proud to present Rings, an omnibus of four SF novels by the same author. The extravagantly symmetrical selections in this omnibus were chosen to spotlight Harness' dazzling "ring" stories. These powerful works display the momentous themes spoken of in NESFA's previous Harness collection--transformation, change, transcendence, evolution. . . destruction and rebirth, death and transfiguration. . . grand beginnings and epic endings . . . . Rings contains three previously-published novels, The Paradox Men, The Ring of Ritornel, and Firebird that loop through space-time, and a new work, Drunkard's Endgame, that accomplishes the same dizzying feats as its predecessors. Baroque space-time opera at its best! Charles Harness was born in Texas in 1915. He has degrees in chemistry and law, and worked as a patent lawyer in Connecticut and Washington D.C. for more than thirty-five years. He was first published in 1947, and he is still producing exciting and refreshing science fiction tales. During this impressive time span, he produced eleven novels and more than thirty shorter works. His stories are characterized by Byzantine plots and myriad baroque ideas, through which serious social themes are woven. He writes about love and transcendence, humanity and hope. Read and enjoy the NESFA Press selection of four novels by Charles Harness. ... And bring your sense of wonder along for the ride.
When is a robot truly conscious? How can a small businesswoman and a smart lawyer defeat a huge corporation and a corrupt judge. Very good science fiction.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.