- Table View
- List View
This is a guide to help students learn to write different types of essays and to know how to research for, and reflect upon different types of writing.
Axelrod and Cooper's Concise Guide to Writing provides streamlined versions of the acclaimed Guides to Writing for six of the most commonly assigned genres in the first-year writing course. The careful integration of well-chosen readings with coverage of critical reading and guided writing in the Guide chapters is complemented by fuller coverage of reading, writing, and research in chapters at the end of the book.
Adapted from the best-selling St. Martin's Guide to Writing, Axelrod and Cooper's Concise Guide to Writing provides streamlined versions of the chapters covering six of the most commonly assigned genres in the first-year writing course -- remembering events, writing profiles, explaining concepts, arguing a position, proposing a solution, and justifying an evaluation. The careful integration of well-chosen readings with guided writing instruction in these chapters is complemented by coverage of strategies for reading, writing, and research in brief-but-complete chapters at the end of the book.
This book teaches you how to analyze the writing of others (both professional writers and students) and then how to apply what you learn to your own writing. For each of the eight common kinds of writing that you will be asked to do in college, ranging from autobiography and reflection to evaluation and argument, this book provides a Guide to Reading, a Guide to Writing, and six essays to serve as models.
The book can serve as a comprehensive introduction to nine genres of writing. It prepares the students for the kinds of writing specific to academic discourse It has examples for specific kind of writing which helps you to write your own essays.
The best-selling college rhetoric for over 25 years, The St. Martin's Guide has achieved an unmatched record of success by providing practical innovations for the ever-changing composition course. The acclaimed step-by-step Guides to Writing offer sure-fire invention strategies to get students started, sentence strategies to get and keep students writing, and thoughtful revision strategies to help students make their writing their own. With more hands-on activities for critical reading and working with sources, greater emphasis on the rhetorical situation, a revamped design that helps students see what they need to do at a glance, and a greater variety of formats (cloth, paper, loose-leaf, and e-books), the Guide is better than ever. The print text is now integrated with e-Pages for The St. Martin's Guide, designed to take advantage of what the Web can do.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.