- Table View
- List View
Covering dogs and cats, ruminants, horses, swine, birds, rabbits, laboratory animals, and fish, Diagnostic Parasitology for Veterinary Technicians, 4th Edition features clear and concise discussions of the most commonly encountered internal and external parasites. In full-color, with a convenient spiral binding, this resource offers step-by-step guidelines for collecting samples and performing lab procedures. Comprehensive terminology coverage familiarizes you with the language of parasitology for effective communication with other members of the veterinary team, and the enhanced life cycle coverage helps you educate clients about prevention and control strategies. Clear and concise coverage of the most commonly encountered internal and external parasites provides an accessible, informative resource for veterinarians, technicians and students alike. Full-color images of parasites ease your ability to recognize parasites in lab samples. Appendix of parasites for each species shows their location and makes it easy to find discussions on every specific parasite. Chapter on lab procedures offers step-by-step guidelines for gathering samples and performing lab procedures. Emphasis on zoonotic potential of parasites helps you alert other health care workers and clients on ways to prevent transmission of a zoonotic parasite, condition, or syndrome from animals to humans. Basic chapter on terminology familiarizes you with the language of parasitology for more effective communication with clients and colleagues. Heartworm section offers insights on performing and interpreting heartworm diagnostic tests to help you recognize and treat this major parasite. Additional tables of parasites - cross-referencing such categories as body systems affected, taxonomic grouping, host species, and location in host - ensure that you understand the countless ways of categorizing parasites. Consistent presentation of information on individual parasites - including common name, size and location of adult, size of egg, and importance (such as disease condition caused by the parasite adult/egg) - helps you quickly locate vital data. Detailed coverage of parasite life cycles includes additional life cycle drawings to help you easily communicate prevention and control strategies to clients. New pictures of pseudoparasites (yeast cells, pollen grains, plant cells) help you recognize pseudoparasites and understand how they differ from parasites. Expanded chapter on exotics offers more images and detailed discussions of the parasites that affect exotics animals. Vet Tech Threads include chapter outlines, key terms, chapter quizzes, and Technician Notes, to help you focus on key concepts. Online resources on Evolve include an image collection and electronic flash cards for a visual and interactive learning experience.
Five American academics contribute nine chapters to an updated text for practicing veterinary technicians, veterinary assistants, and veterinary technology students. The text covers principles and procedures for laboratory diagnostics in the areas of clinical chemistry, microbiology, hematology, homeostasis, parasitology, urinalysis, immunology, and cytology. It assumes a basic understanding of the anatomy and physiology of common species. The new edition has been significantly updated with expanded information reflecting the latest developments in the veterinary clinical laboratory since publication of the 2002 edition. It includes new sections on laboratory mathematics, hematopoiesis, molecular diagnostics, and the physiologic basis of immunity; expanded information on clinical analyzers and quality assurance; and information on professional associations related to veterinary clinical pathology. Illustrated with full color and b&w photomicrographs, charts, and diagrams. Annotation ©2008 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.