- Table View
- List View
A guide to help you understand the concepts and develop the skills that will make you a successful public speaker, with practical information in every chapter to assist you effectively prepare for and make presentations in the many culturally diverse speaking situations you will encounter.
PUBLIC SPEAKING is a culturally informed book that never loses sight of its fundamental purpose: to train students to be effective public speakers and listeners in a world filled with monumental cultural, political, and technological changes. It applies 2,500-year-old principles with up-to-date research into concepts, skills, theories, applications, and critical thinking proficiencies essential for listening and speaking in today's world. Its discussions of classic public speaking topics are all grounded in an awareness of the impact of cultural nuances--ranging from gender differences to co-cultures within the United States to the traditions of other nations. This provides speakers with a heightened awareness of and sensitivity to the audience.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.