- Table View
- List View
Chapter outline and summary, key terms and definitions, identification questions, multiple choice questions, short-answer questions, essay questions and skill-building activities such as map exercises.
This third edition pays attention to the people and cultures of the borderland communities in the South and West, and continues weaving the story of Americans' encounters with the natural environment.
This text ' clear and engaging narrative balances political, social, and cultural history within a clear chronological framework. The Fifth Edition features a thorough revision of the narrative, a complete redesign of the book, and an enhanced art program. The authors explore the enduring vision of the American people, a vision they describe as "a shared determination to live up to the values that give meaning to America." Each chapter has been revised to incorporate the most up-to-date scholarship, with special emphasis placed on technology and public health. "Technology and Culture" boxed features explore the development of new technologies--such as the invention of indoor plumbing and the birth control pill--and their impact on American culture. This edition includes up-to-date scholarship on the experiences of women, Hispanic Americans, Asian Americans, African Americans, and Native Americans in the United States.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.