The Davis family is unhappy with life in Missouri. So they decided to strike out for a new life in the rich gold fields of California. They've packed everything they own, even their kitten, Nugget, and are ready to make the long journey west.
A self-centered, troubled, ten-year-old girl finds solutions to her problems when she finds employment at a shoeshine stand.
Tired of caring for his new dog, a spoiled boy gives him to a young girl who discovers that the dog can sing.
This story for young readers tells of the adventurous life of the Wampanoag Indian who befriended the Pilgrims at Plymouth.
A young boy accompanies his father and uncle on a wild horse roundup, tames a horse he particularly likes, and loses him when, in a storm, the pasture fence gets broken.
This easy-to-read book provides a brief history of the origins and customs surrounding Valentine's Day. Also included: directions for making a Victorian Valentine and a recipe for sugar cookies. This would be a fine book for a book report. This book should make an excellent embossed braille copy.
In the days of King Arthur there stood a mighty oak tree within the walls of a castle. Peace reigned in the castle until the fearsome night when Lionel, long lost brother of Lord Weldon, returned to cause trouble and unhappiness.
A boy finds himself the owner of a mule that likes children but is very hostile to adults. To the parents' dismay and the boy's delight, all attempts to sell the animal fail.
This book describes a tree's life cycle through the seasons. [This text is listed as an example that meets Common Core Standards in English language arts for K-1 at http://www.corestandards.org.]
The fortunes of a little black cat--with a heart-shaped spot on his forehead--lost in the woods, befriended by a poor artist, stolen by a mean chimney sweep, and finally reunited with his poor but happy friend.
When you run, your shadow runs. But you can never catch it! What makes a shadow? Where does it come from? When the sun is shining, everything has its own shadow -- trees, houses, cars, even clouds and planes way up in the sky. You have a shadow, too. As the sun sets, all shadows become part of a much larger one -- the night! With simple words, Clyde Robert Bulla explains how shadows are produced. Young readers will discover what makes the shadows they see and will be introduced to the fun of making shadows of their own.
A lonely boy is found and reared by a hermit in the wilderness of the Tennessee mountains in the 1880s.
Thinking that to rub the ball on top of the church steeple will make his wish for his mother's happiness come true, a young boy climbs the steeple and then can't get down again.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.