Explores the childhood, character, and influential events that shaped the life of Sitting Bull, the Sioux chief. Includes bibliographical references and index.
Tecumseh was fearless in battle. And like many, he was determined to save his land and his people from the American settlers. But Tecumseh, more than any of the others, worked out a realistic plan for keeping the settlers out of Indian lands, and he came closer to doing it than any other.
Twelve-year-old George Stable wants to be a rock star someday, but he gets horrible stage fright. Hiding his teddy bear in the guitar is a comforting idea until George discovers that someone has hidden stolen jewels in the stuffing of the beloved bear.
For use in schools and libraries only. A free 13-year-old black girl in Connecticut is caught up in the horror of the Revolutionary War and the danger of being returned to slavery when her patriot father is killed by the British and her mother disappears.
Carrie has been a kitchen slave in Sam Fraunces's tavern in New York City for as long as she can remember. But after she narrowly escapes a kidnapper, Carrie becomes more curious about her mysterious past. After all, she doesn't even know her own last name. When her friend Dan Arabus comes to town, he talks about his dream of buying his mother's freedom with the Continental notes his father left him. Deciding to help Dan discover how much the notes are worth, Carrie finds herself eavesdropping on Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, and President Washington himself. What's more, Carrie also stumbles upon the startling truth about her own family.
Fourteen-year-old Chris, a poor relation of the wealthy Winchesters, must choose whether to be on the side of management or labor when his classmates' parents go on strike at the Winchester mill in response to a wage cut.
Anxious to be a hero, a young boy relates how he becomes involved in Shays' Rebellion begun by farmers in western Massachusetts against unfair taxation levied on them by the Boston government.
Johnny promised his father, wounded while fighting for the South, that he would take care of the family and not run off to fight. When there's a request to take his mules and wagon on a bold mission to supply the Rebel troops, Johnny can't resist. Then he's captured by Cush, a runaway slave. Johnny doesn't like taking orders from a black, but he has no choice. He's heading for prison camp wondering what will become of his family and himself.
When the Depression strikes America, throwing milions out of work, 12-year-old Petey Williamson's family seems safe. Hadn't the boss promised Petey's father that he'd always have a job? But during the Depression, promises cannot always be kept, and Petey finds his family sliding rapidly into poverty. When Petey's much-admired cousin Steve starts working as a union organizer in the battle to improve conditions for workers, poverty turns into tragedy. Reading Level 5-8 Interest Level 6-8.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.