- Table View
- List View
Receiving less and less attention from his widowed father, Vernon joins with his friends as they ridicule the neighborhood outcasts--Maxine, an alcoholic prone to public displays of crazy behavior, and Ronald, her retarded son. Then the social service decides to put Ronald into a special home, and Vernon finds himself fighting the agency. 1994 Newbery Honor Book<P> Notable Children's Books of 1994 (ALA)<P> 1994 Best Books for Young Adults (ALA)<P> 1994 Young Adult Editors' Choices (BL)<P> 1994 Books for the Teen Age (NY Public Library)<P> Young Adult Choices for 1995 (IRA)<P>
I'm afraid, but I can't call Mom or Dad, 'cause Jerry might wake up. If I try to tell Shannon, she puts a pillow over her head, 'cause she doesn't like to talk about Mr. Healy. She says remembering him makes her sad. "Charlie," he whispers. I'm afraid. In the dark night, I feel like I'm at sea, in that little boat Mr. Healy used to talk about. That's why I'm writing this down. If you're listening, I hope you'll listen close. I'm not making any of it up. He whispers in my ear, "Watch out. " A new novel from a Newbery Honor author Summer has just begun, and thirteen-year-old Charlie and her younger brother, Jerry, anticipate spending the lazy days roaming their working-class Baltimore neighborhood. That is, until Jim Chalmers, a strange man who used to live nearby, enlists their help in solving the murder of their neighbor Mr. Healy. As Charlie learns more about Mr. Healy's death, she struggles to protect her innocent younger brother from the realities of gangs and drugs, as she makes that difficult transition from childhood to adolescence.
"Racso, a brash and boastful little rodent, is making his way to Thorn Valley, determined to learn how to read and write and become a hero. His bragging and lies get him off to a bad start, but a crisis gives him the opportunity to prove his mettle. . . ".--Booklist. IRA/CBC Children's Choice; Booklist Children's Editors' Choice. Copyright © Libri GmbH. All rights reserved.
Shana and Cody are outdoor kids; they don't belong in Laglade, Maryland. But that's the suburb Mama uprooted them to, after Daddy left home. There's only one good thing about Laglade: Mama has found them a cabin near a river in the woods where they can go on the weekends. Soon Shana convinces Mama that she and Cody can stay in the cabin on their own if they promise to be good and stay out of trouble. But trouble takes the unexpected shape of a cat, a gun, a few lies, and a cantankerous old forest ranger who doesn't like Cody and Shana messing around with his river--until the day he's ready to go over the falls for the last time. Jane Leslie Conly tells a riveting story about trust and change, hidden strengths and hidden treasures, in this gripping middle-grade novel.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.