- Table View
- List View
Northwest cuisine has in recent years received national attention, primarily for its focus on fresh, locally grown and raised ingredients. The Best Places Northwest Cookbook features more than 100 truly outstanding regional dishes from iconic restaurants and inns of Washington, Oregon, and British Columbia, all of which appear in the 16th and 17th editions of Best Places Northwest. Originally published in 1996, the best-selling cookbook has been revised, with added updates to establishments from the previous edition, as well as an array of new recipes from some of the most-celebrated places to have opened in recent years. Completely repackaged with a fresh design, and featuring the photography of Lara Ferroni, this cookbook is essential for any Northwest foodie's kitchen, as well as a great keepsake for visitors to the area.
Strawberry and White Chocolate Sponge Cake, Wild Blue Huckleberry Crème Brûlée, Rustic Pear Tart with Hazelnuts, Chocolate Raspberry Cake with Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream . . . let the decadence begin. From the familiar to the innovative, this tempting new entry in the popular series of Best Places cookbooks -- and the only one to focus on desserts -- taps into the boundless talent of the Northwest's top pastry chefs and bakers. Gathering 80 recipes from more than 50 of the best restaurants and inns in the region, the book is divided into seven chapters: Cakes; Cookies and Bars; Custards, Mousses, and Puddings; Frozen Desserts; Fruits and Nuts; Pies and Tarts; and Special Occasions. The Best Places Northwest Desserts Cookbook is an easy-to-use resource for anyone who wants to create memorable desserts at home.
Have you ever accompanied an evening of game-playing with a bowl of salty chips or slabs of pizza? If so, you know that greasy fingers can be a distraction, with players interrupting the game to grab napkins or even lick their fingers--immediately before grabbing the communal spinner. Gourmet Game Night has the solution: instead of relying on conventional convenience snacks and standbys, you've got imaginative, homemade options; instead of greasy hands and game pieces, you've got mess-free, bite-sized snacks. Cookbook writer, magazine contributor, and culinary blogger Cynthia Nims offers inventive alternatives that make hands-clean dining easy, including: * Edible wrappers around savory centers (Shrimp Cakes in Shiso Leaves, page 66) * Bite-sized versions of unwieldy classics for easy grabbing between moves (Caesar Dip with Big Croutons and Romaine, page 18) * Edible bases to support tender ingredients (Tuna Tartare on Daikon Slices, page 58) * Innovative mini containers such as shot glasses for liquid fare (Chilled Avocado Soup with Roasted Poblano Cream, page 112) * Neat sweet treats paired with gooey dippers (Brown Butter Pound Cake with Caramel Dip, page 34) * And of course, party-friendly drinks poured by the pitcherful (Pomegranate-Mint Fizz, page 138) Cynthia Nims's creative and contemporary recipes will liven up any event where free hands are of the essence, whether you're gathering friends for a poker night, rolling those dice for a board-game party, spicing up your bridge club, planning a family Scrabble tournament, or impressing your book club or knitting group! Indeed, Gourmet Game Night proves that you don't need a fancy night on the town to have fun; instead, gather your friends for satisfying small bites--and hopefully a winning streak--at home.From the Trade Paperback edition.
This collection of 75 recipes for savory puffs, chips, crackers, breads, nuts, veggies and meats puts a fresh, crunchy spin on homemade snacks. Are you ready to take your love of salty snacks to the next level? This collection of seventy-five recipes for veggie chips, cheese straws, toasted nuts, pita chips, herb crackers, savory cookies, and snack mixes puts a fresh, crunchy spin on homemade nibbles. So broaden your horizons beyond microwave popcorn and bagged chips to include inventive snacks like Roasted Chickpeas with Sumac, Coconut Crisps with Basil and Chiles, Salami Chips with Grainy Mustard Dip, Stilton and Walnut Pinwheels, and more. Indeed, with all the excess sodium and hidden preservatives in prepackaged foods, it's smart as well as delicious to make your own savory bites from scratch. Nutritious offerings like Parsnip and Carrot Chips, gluten-free recipes like Cumin Lentil Crackers, and the option to customize the amount of added salt (or alternative spices and sprinklings) will appeal to snackers of every stripe. Perfect for cocktail parties, after-school snack time, or anytime you need a nosh, this collection's easy techniques and exotic flavors are sure to delight anyone with a "salty tooth."
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.