- Table View
- List View
Presents a balanced Scientist - Practitioner - Educator approach to understanding Abnormal Psychology. Several features distinguish this text from other textbooks currently available. First, the base of abnormal psychology rests on knowledge generated through scientific studies and clinical practice This text emphasizes this rich blend throughout. Second, it is increasingly clear that most forms of adult abnormal behavior either begin in childhood or have childhood precursors This text highlights what is known about the developmental trajectory of each condition. Such a focus is instrumental in helping students gain some insight into the etiology of maladaptive conditions. Third, Beidel integrates biological findings with findings from social and behavioral sciences to foster the perspective that abnormal behavior is complex and subject to many different forces, and highlight how these variables often interact in a reciprocal fashion. Fourth, scientific findings with respect to race and gender are discussed with respect to each condition. This includes a discussion of prevalence, differences in symptom manifestation, and any known etiological differences. Importantly, an effort is made to "bring to life" the nature of these conditions by providing vivid clinical descriptions In addition to short descriptions used liberally throughout each chapter, a fully integrated case study is presented at the end of each chapter, again illustrating the interplay of biological, psychosocial and emotional factors. My Psych Lab contains study tools such as flashcards, self tests, videos, as well as Speaking Out: DSM in Context which ties real patient interview videos to specific content from the DSM-IV, helping students understand how the DSM-IV criteria applies to real people experiencing disorders My Psych Lab is available at www.mypsychlab.com. Visit the Beidel preview website to view a sample chapter, sample Speaking Out: DSM in Context videos,watch an interview with the author, read reviewer quotes, and much more! http://www.pearsonhighered.com/showcase/beidel1e/
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.