- Table View
- List View
Cocktails are bigger than ever, and this is the first real cookbook for them, covering the entire breadth of this rich subject. The Craft of the Cocktail provides much more than merely the same old recipes: it delves into history, personalities, and anecdotes; it shows you how to set up a bar, master important techniques, and use tools correctly; and it delivers unique concoctions, many featuring Dale DeGroff's signature use of fresh juices, as well as all the classics. Debonair, a great raconteur, and an unparalleled authority, Dale DeGroff is the epitome of Perfect Bartender, universally acknowledged as the world's premier mixologist. From Entertainment Weekly and USA Today to the Culinary Institute of America and the nation's best restaurants, whenever anybody wants information or training on the bar, they turn to Dale for recipes, for history, for anecdotes, for fun--for cocktail-party conversation as well as for cocktails. That's what The Craft of the Cocktail is--the full party, conversation and all. It begins with the history of spirits, how they're made (but without too much boring science), the development of the mixed drink, and the culture it created, all drawn from Dale's vast library of vintage cocktail books. Then on to stocking the essential bar, choosing the right tools and ingredients, mastering key techniques--hints worthy of a pro, the same information that Dale shares with the bartenders he trains in seminars and through his videos. And then the meat of the matter: 500 recipes, including everything from tried-and-true classics to of-the-moment originals. Throughout are rich stories, vintage recipes, fast facts, and other entertaining asides. Beautiful color photographs and a striking design round out the cookbook approach to this subject, highlighting the difference between an under-the-bar handbook and a stylish, full-blown treatment. The Craft of the Cocktail is that treatment, destined to become the bible of the bar.
Known for crafting unique cocktails, reviving classics, and coaxing superior flavor from his creations, DeGroff selects his 100 essential recipes and their best variations, including many of his signature drinks.
Absinthe's renaissance is quickly growing into a culinary movement. The "Green Fairy" is now showing up on cocktail menus at chic restaurants around the country. A Taste for Absinthe celebrates this storied and complex liquor by bringing you 65 cocktail recipes from America's hottest mixologists to enjoy as you discover the spirit that has fascinated artists, musicians, and writers for centuries.Absinthe expert R. Winston Guthrie shares the intriguing history of this famous beverage and a wide range of absinthe cocktails crafted by celebrated bartenders such as Jim Meehan of New York's PDT, Erik Adkins of San Francisco's Slanted Door, and Eric Alperin of The Varnish in Los Angeles. In addition to the recipes--such as the Salute to Sazerac (with rye whiskey, Angostura bitters, and lemon peel) and the Green Goddess (fresh basil leaves, cucumber vodka, simple syrup, line juice, and fresh thyme)--you will find: - a primer on the accoutrements (spoons, glasses, fountains) for serving absinthe- a how-to on executing your own absinthe drip- a guide to buying the best-quality absinthe (whether imported or domestic)- a lesson on how to discern between real absinthe and fake - sidebars on absinthe's rich history Whether you want to learn everything you need to know to host "L'Heure Verte" (the Green Hour) and impress your friends with your beautiful accoutrements and practiced pouring technique, or just make a really delicious drink, A Taste for Absinthe will bring you up to speed on the most talked about liquor in history.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.