- Table View
- List View
In 1996, in big cities and small towns across America, a new crop of teenagers entered the ninth grade. These students, the class of 2000, experienced the world in a unique way, often enjoying the benefits of a booming economy but also living through a wave of school violence, a presidential sex scandal and impeachment, the dawn of a new century, and the rise of the Internet. Since their first day of high school, the class of 2000 has been interviewed by CBS News in an unprecedented, in-depth study. CBS News's goal was to present a compelling portrait of our country's problems and promise as seen through the eyes of these students. To reach this end, the CBS News Polling Unit conducted scientific polls, revealing the thoughts, fears, and expectations of the class of 2000. The exclusive results of this study are rendered in the e-book The Class of 2000: A Definitive Survey of the New Generation. It paints an unusally clear picture of how these teenagers, now on the brink of adulthood, see the world and their place in it. The Class of 2000 is broken down into important topics such as lying and cheating, religion, dating and sexuality, drugs, guns and violence, school quality, and race relations. Each topic includes profiles and photos of some of the young people interviewed as well as the full polling results and an analysis.
Dan Rather's memoir about growing up in Texas during the late 1930s and early 1940s is a portrait of family and community life during that time and of a country just recovering from the Great Depression and on the brink of World War II.
Analysis of the people and events around Nixon's White House and the Watergate scandal
This memoir by Dan Rather -- one of the most pre-eminent journalists of our time -- is told in a straightforward and conversational manner so that you hear his distinctive voice on every page. Rather, -- who has won every prestigious journalism award in his distinguished career -- discusses all the big stories from his decades of reporting. This very personal accounting includes (but is certainly not limited to) his dismissal from CBS, the Abu Ghraib story, the George W. Bush Air National Guard controversy, his coverage of the JFK assassination, the origin of "Hurricane Dan" as well as inside stories about all the top personalities Dan has either interviewed or worked with over his remarkable career. The book will also include Dan's thoughts and reflections on the state of journalism today and what he sees for its future, as well as never-before-revealed personal observations and commentary.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.