This book is a valuable resource for anyone with a serious illness or those who care for or about a cancer patient. It is full of emotional support and practical guidance especially for those coping with these difficult realities for the first time or those who hope to cope better than they may have at an earlier time. Brief and to the point, the author imparts Information about such issues as: accepting the diagnosis, emotions and attitudes, sexual Concerns, children's issues, the medical team, getting help from agencies, nutrition, how friends and family can help, home nursing and alternatives, caregiver health issues, insurance and medical record-keeping, the practical matters of death, and many more. The book can be read straight through or the table of contents used to look up answers to specific questions. The appendices provide models of important forms such as wills and power of attorney. There are also long lists of contact information for agencies nationwide which provide assistance. [from the back cover "DANA RAE POMEROY is a nationally known lecturer in hospice work. She wrote this personal account of her caregiver journey from the first days of her husband's cancer diagnosis through the final days to acceptance. Ms. Pomeroy owns and operates The Writer's Edge, an editorial and literary agency. She has written computer software programs and edited books for various publishers."
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.