At the close of the Civil War, wounded hero Toby Holt rides west to claim a homestead on the vast timberlands of Washington. Awaiting him are shrewd, ruthless profiteers and two beautiful women, the courtesan who seduced Toby into a loveless marriage and a vivacious young woman who is pledged to another man.
To vast expanses of virgin forests came hard- drinking lumberjacks and cold-hearted businessmen. To the prairies lush with grain and hops came German brewers to found an industry on liquid gold and high stakes. This was the land ready for Americas toughest and most daring. This was a place where Toby Holt-son of legendary wagonmaster Whip Holt-would begin a new fight with his six-shooter and his courage. But greed was a deadly vice that could gun down a hero and a family's hopes. Lust was another...luring young It . Henry Blake into a web of carnal immorality that meant heartbreak for lovely Cindy Holt... as a young nation grew into a world power- explosive, dynamic, and ready for the challenge of WISCONSIN!
WAGONS WEST. A series of unforgettable books that trace the lives of a dauntless band of pioneering men, women, and children as they brave the hazards of an untamed land in their trek across America. This legendary caravan of people forge a new link in the wilderness. They are Americans from the North and the South, alongside immigrants, Blacks, and Indians, who wage fierce daily battles for survival on this uncompromising journey--each to their private destinies as they fulfill their greatest dreams. WYOMING! Savage Indian attacks. A lone, war-crazed Blackfoot stalking them. The courts of Queen Victoria and Russia's Czar plotting to thwart their valiant gamble for the future of a new nation. Bitter winter coming. Yet Americas first wagon train pushes its way westward through the Rockies. Ahead is Oregon, the Promised Land -- and the endless miles of hardship and danger, treachery and death that stand between them and their beloved goal. WYOMING! Men, women and children staking their all on the slimmest chance of success. They depend for survival on men like wagon scout Whip Holt, never bested by man or beast. But now two women -- the beautiful young widow Cathy van Ayl, and the Indian maiden La-ena who was once Whips woman -- ride side by side on the train. Each wants him, and either has the power to become his fatal weakness!
HE WAS CHARGED WITH A MISSION THAT COULD COST HIM HIS LIFE. Hamilton folded his hands over his waistcoat. "Arrange passage for yourself on the first merchantman sailing for France. Go to Paris and see the marquis de Lafayette. He's one of the best friends this country has ever had, and he's fully aware of all the details of my plan. He'll give you all necessary instructions." Jeremy was astonished. "You're telling me nothing more?" "Only that your mission will take you to France, then on to the Ottoman Empire. Be good enough to mention nothing of this meeting to anyone. It would suit my purpose perfectly if you seemed to vanish from the face of the earth without a trace. And Morgan"-Hamilton cleared his throat-"this time it would be unwise of you to deviate from the path of duty. If you succeed, no reward will be too great. But if you fail... don't come back."
He was determined to have her, to teach her he was a man, no matter what price he had to pay ... He fell down beside her and Caroline remained passive as he kissed her savagely. Then, unexpectedly, she came to life, embracing him with a fervor that astonished him. Jared climbed slowly to his feet, aware now that his shirt had been cut to ribbons when she had whipped him, and that blood from his wounds had ruined her gown. Caroline sat up, making a halfhearted attempt to arrange her tousled blond hair. At last she regained her feet and forced herself to look at him. He had long thought himself expert in understanding women, but he found the expression in her eyes unfathomable. "You realize," she said in a low tone, "that every court in Delaware would sentence you to be hanged for what you've done." "I suppose," he said, "that if you care to tell a court what happened, you can then enjoy the pleasure of watching me dangle from a noose."
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.