- Table View
- List View
Troy and Trent are brothers who play on the same Winnipeg hockey team, Trent as forward and Troy in goal. When Trent takes a turn in nets he finds out he's a natural, the best goalie on the team. Troy has to fight for ice time, and the brothers' relationship grows colder and colder. Brothers on Ice is a poignant story of the struggle to learn what brings families together, and what drives them apart.
Tom Poulos is sure his baseball team, the Jarvis Badgers, will make the Toronto playoffs this year.He' s looking forward to a summer of playing little league and watching big league ball, until he' s sent to Winnipeg to stay with relatives he hasn't even met. Winnipeg doesn't have a major league team and his Uncle Nick, a first-generation migrant from Greece, is strange in an old-world kind of way. Tom soon finds, however, that a smaller field still offers plenty of challenges--to play and to learn. "Curve Ball" shows how unexpected changes--in sport and in life--offer opportunities to learn and to grow.
Cody Powell has graduated from playing pick-up hockey on the streets of Winnipeg to skating with his community club team, the Transcona Sharks. Coach Brackett is impressed with Cody's speed and stick handling ability, and promotes him to the team's first line.Unfortunately, Cody takes Stu, Coach Brackett's son's, spot. Cody is worried that coach is too hard on Stu, and that Stu has as much right to play on the first line as he does. As the pressure to win games mounts, Cody is torn between loyalty to his coach and loyalty to his friend.Hockey Night in Transcona is a story about the conflicting pressures young hockey players face in their quest to succeed.
Lizzie has just been named captain of the soccer team - the boys' soccer team, that is. For a shy twelve year old, that's a problem. Lizzie never dreamed anything like this would happen when she asked if the boys and girls could play on the same team. Now that the principal knows her name and the editor of the school newspaper wants an interview, Lizzie wishes she could disappear.Worse still, the boys are treating the team as a big joke, and Lizzie just knows they have something planned to get even.Find out what it is in this interesting new novel from John Danakas.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.