- Table View
- List View
This book deals with aged blind persons, the ways and means of lending them a helping hand, services available to them, and solving other problems.
Blind and visually impaired people: active, concerned about their jobs, their families, their communities, obtaining a good education, discovering interesting ways to use their leisure time, and above all, as different from one another as any other group of people who happen to have one characteristic in common. Today there are visually impaired people in every major area of employment from professional occupations to technical and clerical work. There are blind lawyers and college professors and insurance salesmen and social workers, blind typists and switchboard operators, auto mechanics and chemical engineers.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.