- Table View
- List View
`There is much to commend this comprehensive work: it is engaging to read, accessible in style and honestly conveyed. I will certainly be including it as a key text for our university's new CBT module next year. I am reminded once again that contemporary CBT is a therapy for the people; accessible, affordable, resourceful and client empowering' - Therapy Today `[This book] is written in a very readable plain English format that gives the reader an immediate grasp of the concepts... [and] a great insight into the CBT model in a very structured and practical way. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is curious about CBT' - Eisteach, Irish Association for Counselling and 'This book has been published at the optimum time when references to CBT are ubiquitous, and understanding the principles of this widely publicised intervention is essential. A fine balance of the evidence base, therapeutic interventions and the practicalities of the key components of intervention promotes this text to a higher level of sophistication' - Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy `a worthwhile introduction to CBT and... a thorough overview of the approach that is well supported by research evidence. Written by experience practitioners in an accessible language, this book is recommended for those new to CBT. It is also a useful refresher for the more experienced therapist' - Nursing Standard, 4 star review An Introduction to Cognitive Behaviour Therapy is a beginner's guide to the basic theory, skills, and applications of CBT. Well supported by research evidence, CBT has become one of the most widely practised and most popular therapeutic approaches. For those new to the approach this practical text sets out the core concepts and generic skills of CBT including: " the method of Socratic dialogue " case formulation " the therapeutic relationship " therapeutic strategies - cognitive, behavioural, and physiological. The text then goes on to illustrate how these techniques can be applied to the most common mental health problems - depression, panic and agoraphobia, OCD and health anxiety, social anxiety, and generalized anxiety disorder. Other, less common, disorders are also explored, as are different methods of delivery including work with individuals, groups, couples, and families. This text will be invaluable to all those coming to CBT for the first time whether on training courses or as part of their everyday work. It will also be a useful refresher for those with some experience who want to remind themselves of core skills David Westbrook is Director of the Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre (OCTC) and a consultant clinical psychologist with Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust (OBMH). Helen Kennerley is a consultant clinical psychologist with OCTC and OBMH. Joan Kirk was the founding Director of OCTC and is now a consultant clinical psychologist with OCTC and in private practice.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.