- Table View
- List View
Marcus Valerius Messalla Corvinus, a young Roman patrician, investigates the death of Germanicus, the adopted son of the Emperor Tiberius.
The surprise suicide of a young man with ? apparently ? everything to live for, prompts his family to ask Marcus Corvinus to investigate. All they really want is an explanation. But Marcus?s sleuthing uncovers many contradictory elements in the tale, and he is forced to conclude that this wasn?t suicide at all, but murder. As usual, he needs Perilla?s agile brain to untangle the complexities of the case and the pair come to realise that the suicide scenario has a political, as well as a personal, dimension. As if that?s not enough, Corvinus finds his investigations hampered by his new role as reluctant dog-sitter to the seriously misnamed Placida, a Gallic boarhound with a gargantuan appetite and minimal personal hygiene.
'It's a funny thing about holidays in the country, but after only a few days away you feel as if you've been out of circulation for a month' Marcus Corvinus' break in the Alban Hills is interrupted by the sudden and messy death of a candidate for the local censorship post. Can Corvinus find his murderer before the Latin Festival raises its stakes? How do the Latin Nationalists fit into the picture? And what exactly is Meton the chef up to in the kitchen with Dassa the sheep? Corvinus doesn't know the answers either.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.