- Table View
- List View
[from inside flaps] Comparable to Frank Herbert's Dune in imaginative sweep and technical virtuosity, Neverness is a science fiction masterwork that is sure to establish David Zindell as one of the genre's premier talents. For the reader who enters the pages of Neverness, there awaits a world of stunning complexity: a world in which the evolutionary possibilities open to mankind are presented in marvelously rich detail, from the seemingly primitive Alaloi, whose genes have "back-mutated" to give them the appearance of Neanderthals; to the sophisticated Order of Pilots, which reworks the laws of time and physics to slingshot its members through dense regions of "thickspace"; to the Solid State Entity, a nebula-sized brain composed of moon-sized biocomputers analogous to neurons; to the Ieldra, a mythical race of aliens that eons ago seeded the galaxy with its DNA and initiated the evolutionary cycle. Standing at the center of the novel is Mallory Ringess, headstrong novitiate of the Order of Pilots, who against all odds navigates a maze of interspatial passageways to penetrate the Solid State Entity. When he returns to his native Neverness, it is with the conviction that the secret of the Ieldra--a guarded pool of knowledge that can unlock the secret of immortality--may be found among the Alaloi. He then leads a quest that will see him bludgeoned to death, cryogenically frozen, then resurrected as half man, half biocomputer--kin of sorts to the Solid State Entity. It is in the novel's dramatic final pages that Mallory will be asked to discard the last vestiges of humanity in return for mankind's ultimate salvation."
RETURN OF THE PRODIGAL SON Danlo wi Soli Ringess has returned from the Vild, the first lightship pilot to escape that hellish region of fractured space and deadly supernovas where giant computer-gods make war on each other. But the Civilized Worlds face their own threat of war. A fanatical cult has seized the fabled city of Neverness and plans to take over the galaxy. Though the cult worships Danlo's long-lost father as a god, he casts his lot with its opponents--and is sent to Neverness to try to reason with its leaders. Instead he must fight to survive: against the warrior-poet who has vowed to take his life, the madman with a star-killing weapon and a grim ultimatum, the charismatic leader of the cult--once Danlo's greatest friend, now his fiercest enemy--and his own unbreakable vow never to harm a living thing. A contemporary master of speculative fiction and incomparable world-building, David Zindell continues his monumental epic that sweeps us from the outer reaches of the galaxy to the inner depths of the human mind, a stirring cosmic drama of a man of peace torn between the implacable cosmic forces of divinity and destruction.
A galactic search for the truth fires this magnificent epic of war and discovery on both a human and cosmic scale. The Wild: a chaotic place where ten elite lightship pilots dared to venture. A place where one of those pilots, Danlo wi Soli Ringess, will learn the fate of his father. Did Mallory Ringess die during that first expedition to the Wild? Or did he become a god? Opinions vary, but Danlo's search is focused on one objective: the truth. It is a truth that will not only reveal his father's assassin, but could also lay bare the secret to a killer virus that only Danlo survived. "From the Paperback edition. "
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.