- Table View
- List View
Co-published by Sinauer Associates, Inc. , and W. H. Freeman and Company. Visit the Life, Eighth Edition preview site. LIFE HAS EVOLVED. . . from its original publication to this dramatically revitalized Eighth Edition. LIFE has always shown students how biology works, offering an engaging and coherent presentation of the fundamentals of biology by describing the landmark experiments that revealed them. This edition builds on those strengths and introduces several innovations.
Principles of Life is intended for an active learning approach to understanding the fundamental concepts of biology and serves as a textbook for instructors who are changing the way they teach biology to college undergraduates. Each chapter of Principles of Life is organized into a series of concepts that are important for mastering introductory biology.
For sample chapters, a video interview with David Hillis, and more information, visitwww. whfreeman. com/hillispreview. Sinauer Associates and W. H. Freeman are proud to introducePrinciples of Life. Written in the spirit of the reform movement that is reinvigorating the introductory majors course,Principles of Lifecuts through the thicket of excessive detail and factual minutiae to focus on what matters most in the study of biology today. Students explore the most essential biological ideas and information in the context of the field's defining experiments, and are actively engaged in analyzing research data. The result is a textbook that is hundreds of pages shorter (and significantly less expensive) than the current majors introductory books.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.