- Table View
- List View
Entries from Annie May's Black Book: October 15th, 1974: Miss Baker for telling me how to blow my nose and not believing when I still couldn't do it. February 6th, 1977: David Llewellyn for saying my landscape painting looked like a pig's trough and then making honking noises every time he saw me. April 12th, 1987: Peter Elton for 'borrowing' my cigarettes and never buying any of his own. 9th February, 1988: BEN SEYMOUR FOR EVERYTHING FOR EVER In her Black Book, Annie May has recorded the name and offence of everyone who has ever done her wrong. The greatest transgressor of them all was Ben Seymour: the man who jilted her at the altar seventeen years ago. Now he's moving into a house round the corner . . .
Two months before Sarah's twin sons leave home for their gap year travel, her husband Andrew, a keen amateur thespian, announces that he's leaving her for his leading lady. Happily married for the past twenty years, Sarah has no idea how to fill her empty house, her empty days, nor play the role of discarded wife. As Sarah is to discover, the way forward is strewn with hazards and humiliations. If she is not to be bludgeoned to pieces, she must acquire skills for survival . . . fast. Happily for Sarah, help (and hindrance!) is at hand in the form of well-meaning neighbours, a misbehaved mongrel, an eventful trip to Majorca, an unassuming plumber, and an unwelcome role as Mrs De Winter in the forthcoming Ambercross Players' production of Rebecca. In this wickedly funny and hugely entertaining comedy of manners, life in a small Wiltshire village is exposed with a highly infectious sense of humour and a devastatingly accurate eye for detail.
Is there ever a right time to break up your oldest friend's marriage? Fifteen years ago, Merrily disappeared from the lives of her two best friends, Alison and Leah. Now she's back, with a husband who is sapping the life from her. Christopher is a bully who's convinced he's God's gift to everyone, especially his wife. He is also unfaithful, a fact which Leah wished she had never discovered. Should Merrily's friends stand by and watch their old friend sink ever further into drab submissiveness? Alison, happily married to Felix, thinks they should do something. Leah, divorced with two young children, is less convinced. Nevertheless, she joins Alison in a plan to liberate Merrily. As the campaign unfolds, it has dramatic repercussions on the lives of all three friends, and produces consequences that they could never have imagined . . .
Cornelius Hedge finds it difficult enough to talk to people he does know let alone people he doesn't. So he's plunged into gloom when he is dragooned into driving the female friend of a colleague's wife through France. How on earth is he expected to make small talk from Boulogne to Montelimar? First impressions are not auspicious: the moment he introduces himself, the woman inexplicably bursts into tears. But by the time they've reached their destination, Cornelius has grown increasingly fond of the unassuming Katrina. She is interesting, entertaining, amusing; he'd actually like to see more of her. At their age however, the past has a habit of intruding on the present. Ex-husbands, ex-wives, selfish sisters and sulky teenagers all seem to conspire to thwart the budding romance. What's worse, both Katrina and Cornelius are hiding secrets from their past. Secrets that burst into the open - with rather surprising results.
Living with her partner, Tony, his parents and their precocious teenage son, Alberta Granger considers she belongs to the perfect modern extended family. With her catering business booming and her daughter embarking on a glittering career in London, Bertie reckons she can cope with the mild irritants of her difficult stepson's visits and her father's ongoing disapproval of Tony. But some truly shocking news is about to rock Bertie's world to its foundations. As a torrent of tabloid headlines engulfs the family in a very public scandal, Bertie is forced to face the fact that some of her nearest and dearest, those closest family members she thought she knew so well, have been keeping secrets, leading mysterious double lives she knew nothing about. As revelation follows revelation, old wounds re-open and former grudges re-surface. Is Bertie's family unit tight enough to survive? Is her relationship with Tony solid enough to withstand the battering? And, when temptation arises in the form of a handsome stranger, is Bertie herself strong enough to resist?
What happens after the 'happy ever after'?When Robin asked Tilly to marry him, it was the happiest moment of her life. Ten years on, the sparkle has faded - household bills, household chores, two small children and a boisterous dog have seen to that - but Tilly is convinced their love can survive even the attentions of interfering in-laws and a glamorous ex-girlfriend. When dramatic news ignites the simmering undercurrents into a full-blown crisis, Tilly is forced to face the fact that her marriage is under threat. Can she and Robin find a way to recapture the love, lust and sense of fun that filled their early years together? Can Tilly find the strength to overcome the obstacles in the path of true happiness? And when temptation arises in an unexpected form - can she, should she - find the will to resist?
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.