- Table View
- List View
Echoes of Hawthorne abound in vivid scenes and authentic language in this masterfully re-imagined tale, not a retelling but an alternative telling that sweeps one along beyond the point Hawthorne chose to stop and embroiders new characters on the fabric of time. A captivating achievement that teases recollection and delights fancy. --Susan Vreeland, author of Girl in Hyacinth Blue.
Over the centuries, the inhabitants of author Edith Wharton's fictional mansion, Kerfol, are haunted by the ghosts of dead dogs, fractured relationships, and the taste of bitter revenge.
Drawing on dark fantasy as well as horror and wild humor, ten contemporary authors pay homage to the gothic tale in original stories of the supernatural and the surreal. A lovesick count and the ghost of his brutalized servant . . . a serial killer who defies death . . . a house with a violent mind of its own and another that holds within its peeling walls a grotesque secret. Here are witches who feast on faces, changeling rites of passage, a venerable vampire contemplating his end, and a fanged brat who drains the patience of a bumbling teenage boy. Here too are a flamboyant young novelist in search of a subject more compelling than his own eerie existence, and the daughter of a sorcerer fighting to free her lover -- and her will -- from sinister bonds. Enter the world of GOTHIC!, a celebration of the literary form made famous by such writers as Mary Shelley and Edgar Allan Poe. With scary stories by: Joan Aiken M. T. Anderson Neil Gaiman Caitlín R. Kiernan Gregory Maguire Garth Nix Celia Rees Janni Lee Simner Vivian Vande Velde Barry Yourgrau
Noyes embarks on a quest for understanding--struggling with science and love--attempting to distance, but also bring closer, the "other" kingdom. What results is a visionary meditation on how myth, history, and culture have influenced our view of animals and shaped our lives with them.
Two very different friends come to a special understanding of their relationship. Prudence and Moxie are like apples and oranges, up and down, sweet and sour. But despite differences, they're still best friends. See, there isn't much that Moxie won't do-especially when dared. Dare her to kissy-face smoosh against the shark tank? Done. Consecutive twists on an upside-down amusement park ride? Hardly a challenge. How about a fast, fast turbo-cart ride all the way down High Horse Hill? No problem! It's enough to drive quiet, sensible Prudence crazy. Especially when Moxie balks at the one thing that's very important to Prudence . s. s. Can Moxie learn to try something that makes her feel anything but brave? Triple dog dare you to find out!
From a beyond-the-grave stalker to prankster devil worshippers, from a childish ghost of the future to a vampire lover with bloody ties to the past, the characters in these ten original stories will send shivers down your spine.
The bearded girl by Aimee Bender; Those psychics on TV by Vivian Vande Velde; The year of the rat by Danica Novgorodoff; The mummy's daughter by Annette Curtis Klause; When God came to Kathleen's garden by David Almond; The shadow troupe by Shawn Cheng; Cat calls by Cynthia Leitich Smith; The bread box by Cecil Castellucci; Living curiosities by Margo Lanagan; and Jargo! by Matt Phelan.
Two little girls-raised by wolves-have just arrived at the orphanage, and life will never be the same. Based on a true story, this book is about many things at once: family, friendship, and what it means to have a home.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.