As featured in Newsweek, Time, USA Today, and on Oprah, Dateline NBC, MTV and 20/20, this leading sexuality educator now helps parents guide their children through the difficult adolescent years--from the author of From Diapers to Dating. Debra Haffner's valuable, award-winning book first book on raising sexually healthy children, From Diapers to Dating, helps parents through the infant-to-age-12 period. Her sequel, Beyond the Big Talk, now guides them through the difficult adolescent years, when they are likely to confront such issues as peer pressure, dating and parties, alcohol and drugs, harassment, abstinence, and much more. Organized by age group--middle school (grades seven and eight), early high school (grades nine and ten), late high school (grades eleven and twelve), and beyond (ages 18 and up), each section provides: "Values Exercises" to help parents decide their own beliefs on various topics, and how to communicate them to their teen. "Special Issues" advice on topics such as eating disorders, date rape, sexual violence, and dealing with your teen's questions about your own sexual history. Advice on finding "teachable moments" with your teens--entry points into discussions on important topics in television, in the movies, and in your daily lives. A frank and supportive foreword by Haffner's teen-age daughter, Alyssa, gives a young person's perspective on the challenges teens face every day. An extensive Appendix offers a wealth of books, websites, and organizations for both teens and their parents. In her trademark "realistic, practical, and informative" style (Kirkus Reviews), Haffner's values-oriented approach is an invaluable resource to both parents and children.
This widely recommended parenting guide offers a wealth of practical techniques to help you identify and communicate your own values about sexuality to your children, infants to age twelve. In this revised edition, acclaimed parenting educator Debra Haffner covers the latest research and addresses issues of timely concern, including Internet safety. The book includes: "Values Exercises" to help you identify and communicate your beliefs to your children "Special Issues" to advise you on discussing difficult topics "Teachable Moments" to help you recognize opportunities or entry points into a discussion of important issues. "I believe it is up to you and your partner to decide on the messages and values you want to give your child about sexuality," Haffner writes. "It is your right and your responsibility to share them with your child."
A provocative new book that debunks the myths, validates the concerns, and advises parents on how to keep their children safe and healthy in a world so different from the one in which they grew up. Has raising children become more difficult, or are parents unnecessarily alarmed by the constant stream of stories and statistics in the media? How do those reports relate to their children? What's fact? What's exaggeration, or misinterpretation? These are some of the questions that parenting expert Debra Haffner, author of the award-winning books From Diapers to Dating and Beyond the Big Talk, answers in her new book. She addresses head-on the good and bad news about 21st-century parents' concerns: stress, self-esteem, drinking, achievement, drugs, Internet safety, cell phones, Facebook, depression, sports, nutrition, bullying, faith, abstinence, and sex. With compassion and clarity, backed by extensive research, Haffner provides invaluable insight into the world of children today, along with practical and reassuring tips for parents on how to tackle many of the day-to-day challenges.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.