- Table View
- List View
Complete with new beginnings and the promise of happy endings, the Howard Books Spring 2013 Fiction eSampler has an array of debut authors and perennial favorites for you to try out and enjoy. Step back in time with our historical fiction, fall in love with our inspirational romance, and enjoy our contemporary stories. If you would like to learn more about any of our authors or the titles featured, please visit us at HowardBooksOnline.com, follow @Howard_Books, or like us at Facebook.com/HowardBooks and sign up to receive our free monthly e-newsletter to stay informed of all of Howard's fiction releases. With chapter excerpts from the following Spring 2014 new releases: Sinners and the Sea by Rebecca Kanner Friend Me by John Faubion The Traitor's Wife by Allison Pataki The Thief by Stephanie Landsem Healer of Carthage by Lynne Gentry Vow Unbroken by Caryl McAdoo The Shepherd's Song by Betsy Duffey and Laurie Myers Fifteen Minutes by Karen Kingsbury Fearless Hope by Serena Miller Sing for Me by Karen Halvorsen Schreck Fair Play by Deaanne Gist Chateau of Secrets by Melanie Dobson Somebody Like You by Beth K. Vogt Visit HowardBooksOnline.com for more on these and other authors.
Tony Morgan is disinherited by his father, so he moves to Corsicana where he meets a rival's daughter. She is hard and does not want anything to do with Tony at first, but eventually, they fall in love. However, in the meantime, a plot has been set up to thwart Tony from winning a bicycle race by his brother, and in the end, his brother is killed. Some people think Tony is the murderer because of being disinherited.
A transporting historical novel about a promising young inventor, his struggle with loss, and the attractive teacher who changes his life, all set against the razzle-dazzle of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair.Gambling everything, including the family farm, Cullen McNamara travels to the 1893 Chicago World's Fair with his most recent invention. But the noise in the Fair's Machinery Palace makes it impossible to communicate with potential buyers. In an act of desperation, he hires Della Wentworth, a teacher of the deaf, to tutor him in the art of lip-reading. The young teacher is reluctant to participate, and Cullen has trouble keeping his mind on his lessons while intently watching her lips. Like the newly invented Ferris Wheel, he is caught in a whirl between his girl back home, his dreams as an inventor, and his unexpected attraction to his new tutor. Can he keep his feet on the ground, or will he be carried away?
SPEAK POLITELY. Even when you're the only respectable woman around, protesting San Francisco's decadent surrender to gold fever. DRESS MODESTLY. Wear your sunbonnet at all times. Ensure nobody sees your men's boots muddied by the city streets. Remain Devoted to Family. Protect your siblings from the temptations that surround them, even against their wishes. Stand Above Reproach. Most difficult when a captivating man turns out to be a saloon owner. Rise Above Temptation. No accepting gifts. No bestowing favors. No impeachable behavior ... well, maybe just one...little...kiss? WHEN THESE RULES BECOME INCREASINGLY DIFFICULT TO UPHOLD, CAN RACHEL VAN BUREN REMAIN A BEACON OF VIRTUE IN A CITY OF VICE?
When a World's Fair Guard and the woman doctor assigned to treat him square off in the White City, a storm is brewing...Hunter Scott is one of the elite. An 1893 Chicago World's Fair guard specifically chosen for his height, physique, character, and ability to serve and protect. When he is overcome with debilitating abdominal pain, Hunter stumbles to the Fair's infirmary only to discover the doctor is female--who ever heard of a female doctor? But even worse, she has the nerve to diagnose him, the toughest man west of any place east, with constipation--an unspeakable ailment in mixed company. What will happen when this tough Texan and attractive doctor face off? Either way, a tempest is brewing...
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.