- Table View
- List View
Imagine your Western Civilization students evaluating evidence, making connections, and thinking analytically about the past and present. Imagine your students better understanding the development of western ideas and values and the impact on today's world. WEST, a brief, lively narrative offers a rich, innovative and integrated teaching and learning program for today's Western Civilization courses. One that combines an outstanding design and a ground-breaking digital program, Connect History, that embraces instructor's course goals while meeting students where they learn best, in an active environment. WEST illustrates the significance of economic, political, social and cultural interactions that shaped Western Civilization while asking students to analyze events and themes in order to build a greater understanding of the past and its influence and impact on the present. With WEST, students are no longer simply reading a static page. They are interacting and engaging in a visual and hands-on learning experience. As students experience the history of Western Civilization, WEST builds the critical analysis skills that will student success in this history course and beyond.
The West in the World's newest edition is a first in the teaching and learning of Western Civilization. Its groundbreaking web-based digital solution, its unique mid-length and lively narrative, and its rich, outstanding visuals creates a unique teaching and learning environment propelling greater student success and overall improved course results. Instructors gain better insight into students' engagement and understanding as students develop a base of knowledge and construct stronger critical thinking skills. Unparalleled coverage of art and culture as well as science and technology sets the stage and provides rich insights into historical time periods and events. The captivating stories and lush images keep students turning the page, helping prepare for class discussion and course work while its new teaching and learning platform, Connect History, enables students to engage with the course content on a greater level. The West in the World illustrates the significance of economic, political, social and cultural interactions that shaped Western civilization while asking students to analyze the events and themes in order to build a greater understanding of the past and an appreciation of history's influence on the present. With The West in the World, students are no longer simply reading; they are reading, interacting, and engaging in a visual, auditory, and hands-on learning experience. As students uniquely experience the history of Western Civilization,The West in the World propels students to greater understanding and the achievement of greater course success. Experience The West in the World and experience greater course success.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.