- Table View
- List View
The book will detail the history, successes, and failures of targeted therapies for cancer, with a particular focus on IGF systems and cancer.
There is a world-wide epidemic on obesity. This epidemic is driving the immense proportions of Type 2 diabetes across the globe. While there are numerous therapies for treating Type 2 diabetes, the most effective therapy is prevention. Prevention of Type 2 diabetes can be achieved properly by simultaneous prevention of obesity. Prediabetes, or metabolic syndrome, is the period between simple obesity and diabetes, and this critical period needs to be identified in a more consistent and systematic manner by clinicians worldwide. Clinical trials have indicated that diabetes prevention can be achieved by lifestyle changes and also by certain medications, though none are yet approved for use in prevention. On the other hand, there are funding agencies such as the NIH, CDC, and State Institutions that are interested in studying the prevention paradigms in different communities and ethnic minorities who are most prone to this epidemic. For these reasons, this title by renowned physician-scientist Derek LeRoith is both timely and vitally important for academic physicians, practitioners, allied health care providers, analysts, community activists, and all others interested in this increasing epidemic. This book provides a unique and comprehensive synthesis of the prevention and early diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes, focusing on identifying risk factors and then moving into topics that address how to prevent their progression to full-blown diabetes. The difficult task of changing patients' behavior is given special emphasis. The chapters in this practical volume are written by a wide range of international experts, refelecting the editor's distinguished, internationally renowned career. The volume is organized in eight sections: an introduction to the overall issue of prevention, definitions of values based on ADA guidelines, pathophysiology, discussion of a range of interventional trials regarding prevention, and an overview of state-of-the-art clinical management approaches. Comprehensive and timely, Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes: From Science to Therapy is an essential reference for those treating and researching Type 2 Diabetes.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.