- Table View
- List View
Harsha Vardhana became the king of Kanauj and Thanesar in c. CE 606, and transferred his capital from Thanesar to Kanauj shortly afterwards. He ruled till CE 648. The union of these two powerful kingdoms helped Harsha extend his influence and jurisdiction over other states in north India. The grandeur and power of Kanauj under Harsha was apparently so great that, according to a contemporary text, the expression 'you want Kanauj' was used as a proverb, meaning 'you want the impossible'. This vividly-imagined novel starts in the happy environs of the palace of Thanesar, where Harsha and his siblings are growing up. But soon after his sister Rajyasri's wedding, things start to go wrong. And Rajyasri wonders, is he really the loving brother he seems to be, or is he a calculating man who will stop at nothing to gain the throne, even murder?
A story about Gopal, son of a barber from a small village who went on to become the jester in King Krishna Chandra's kingdom.
Everyone agreed that Raman of Tenali was very clever. As a boy, he exasperated people with his mischief just as much as he impressed them with his intelligence. As jester in the court of King Krishna Devaraya, Tenali continued to entertain and annoy the king and courtiers in equal measure. But underlying the buffoonery and audacious exploits was a keen concern for truth and a desire to bring to light the follies of men and society. This collection of eighteen stories contains all the wit and wisdom that make the stories of Tenali Raman so widely read and well loved.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.