- Table View
- List View
Today, the basic ideas underpinning democracy--that government exists for the benefit of the people, and that it must have their consent to be legitimate--may seem obvious. Even dictators pay lip service to these ideas. But the logic of democracy hasn't always been widely accepted. In fact, throughout most of recorded history, nearly all rulers claimed absolute authority. This book traces the long evolution of government "by the people," from its roots in the ancient world to the present day.
Dictatorship is a form of government in which an individual or a small group wields power without legal or constitutional constraints. Dictators come in many varieties. Some are military officers who overthrow an elected government. Others are democratically elected politicians who, once in office, decide to discard democracy. Some dictators use power to transform society. Others expressly try to prevent social or political change. Still others don't appear to be motivated by any ideology, whether liberal or conservative. Instead, they use power simply to enrich themselves or bolster their egos. This book examines the diverse forms of dictatorship. It is filled with interesting and instructive case histories.
This is a picture book about where astronauts have been and where they might go in the future.
Milady's Standard Textbook of Cosmetology has led the way in cosmetology education by changing to meet the evolving needs of students and the market. The new Standard is organized into six parts containing 26 chapters, each written by an industry expert in the field, creating an immediate connection to the professional world. This book covers all essential information in a contemporary, easy-to-use manner.
Hip-hop started on the streets of New York with African American youths in the 1970s. But with its strong beats and raw lyrics, it quickly spread across the country. It became the music of a generation of young Americans. But hip-hop is more than just music. It's a lifestyle. It's also big business. When Interscope Records was formed in 1990, the company's founders saw an opportunity. Young people loved the energy of hip-hop. Interscope gave rappers like Eminem and 50 Cent their start--and it paid off. Today, Interscope is a multimillion-dollar company that handles all kinds of music. There were setbacks on the way to success. But whether it was Lady Gaga or the Black Eyed Peas, Interscope always managed to find a star!
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.