- Table View
- List View
In order to succeed in school and beyond, students in grades 6-12 need to understand and use both academic language and discipline-specific vocabulary. This book describes effective practices for integrating vocabulary study with instruction in English language arts, history/social studies, and math and science, and for helping students become independent, motivated word learners. The expert authors present a wealth of specific teaching strategies, illustrated with classroom vignettes and student work samples. Connections to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) are highlighted throughout; an extensive annotated list of print and electronic resources enhances the book's utility.
The author provides an account of world cultures and their geographical significance across borders and explains the importance of linking history with geography.
- In-depth understanding of the Before, During, and After reading process- Essential skills and strategies for a variety of materials and genres- Key comprehension tools, including notetaking, outlining, cause-effect diagrams, and double-entry journals- A resource for content area reading, supplemental reading activities, tutorials, and homework support
This book showcases effective ways to build the vocabulary knowledge K-8 learners need to engage meaningfully in reading, writing, and discussion on academic subjects. The distinguished authors draw on decades of classroom experience to explain what academic vocabulary is, how it fits into the Common Core State Standards, and how targeting vocabulary can enhance conceptual understanding in English language arts, social studies, and math and science. Rich classroom vignettes, teaching tips, and examples of student work are included. The book also features helpful figures, word lists, discussion questions, and recommended print and online resources.
This textbook contains North Carolina Standard Course of Study 6th Grade: South America and Europe.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.