- Table View
- List View
The story of the African American experience in the Western US, from colonial times to the present, is chronicled in this accessible reference for students in high school and up. The book begins by examining slavery on the moving frontier, and the ways in which the frontier ultimately resulted in the abolition of slavery in America. It continues by examining African American life in the western region as a whole, with material on black cowboys, the rise of the NAACP, the Tulsa race riot, race and organized labor, the era of Black Nationalism, and blacks in Hollywood. The chapter on the African American West since 1980 examines topics including the Rodney King beating, gangsta rap, and suburbanization. The final chapter examines the historiography of the Black West and current issues in multiracial history. A chronology and a glossary are included. Flamming teaches history at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.