- Table View
- List View
This is a book about ecosystems: the ways in which we perceive them, conceptualize them,protect them, and manipulate them. Ecosystems have been given considerable attention inrecent literature, and with good reason. Our growing comprehension of irreplaceable andimperiled ecosystem services has made it clear that we are in the midst of an ecological crisis.In response, various organizations, agencies, and individuals have dedicated themselves to thepreservation, restoration, and maintenance of ecological systems. The United States is a worldleader in this regard, building upon the legacy of giants like Thoreau, Muir, and Leopold.And yet, even as we scramble to rehabilitate and sustain ecosystems, the debate on their naturecontinues. In one corner are proponents of holism--those that see ecosystems as definableunits with recognizable and regenerative stable states.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.