- Table View
- List View
The five novels are The House Without a Key, The Chinese Parrot, Behind That Curtain, The Black Camel, and Keeper of the Keys.
Hoping for peace and quiet, a novelist checks in to a secluded hotel and becomes part of a noisy conspiracy in this classic mystery from the creator of Charlie Chan After years of churning out potboilers, novelist Billy Magee decides that he needs just two months of solitude to produce a work of true literary merit. New York is too crowded with distractions, so he embarks on a journey to the loneliest place he knows: a rambling summer resort that has been closed for the winter. He plans to live by candlelight and firewood for the next eight weeks, with nothing to do but write. On his very first night at Baldpate Inn, however, Magee receives an unwelcome visitor. For some reason, the man is very nervous. Could it have something to do with the revolver clutched in his hand? Magee was promised the only key to the hotel, but five more peculiar interlopers arrive, each with a key. It is clear that the author is caught up in a strange and baffling plot. The question is, who's pulling the strings? Magee hopes to find out soon, lest he turn up dead before he can start his book. This ebook has been professionally proofread to ensure accuracy and readability on all devices.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.