- Table View
- List View
Follow Hoagland's travels, from equatorial mountain forests to the Sahara desert; from small Sudanese towns in the south and west to short stays in the capital, Khartoum. Hoagland's eye for detail presents the reader with electrifying images of life in the Sudan - rotten diets, disease, coups and civil war, the traders, poachers, tribal headmen, and those who come to help.
In "Compass Points", Hoagland looks back over his life in an attempt to discern the fundamental directions in which he is traveling, and he tells a story that embraces some of the contradictions and complexities of human experience. It reflects with elegance Hoagland's intransigent honesty, his protean ardor, and, most important, his generosity. Here, family and friends, wives and lovers, mentors and fellow writers are given their due in a life's reckoning that is shrewd in observation, marvelously crafted, rapturous in its acceptance and appreciation. A pithy mix of family history and personal insight, "Compass Points" transforms one man's story into an American saga.
Hoagland discusses a range of subjects from the natural history of owls to the delicious mystery of wolves in stories such as "Howling Back at the Wolves"; the demise of the red wolf "Lament the Red Wolves"; our relationship with dogs "Dogs, and the Tug of Life"; the nature of a bear-stalker "Bears, Bears, Bears"; and the intricate workings of an old farm's ecosystem. Hoagland reports from the front lines of life. He recounts fascinating detail with exacting prose. He's irascible, brilliant, probing, sharp-witted, and brutally honest about himself and the state of the natural world. No one who admires John Muir, Henry David Thoreau, John Burroughs, and Edward Abbey should miss this definitive collection. It will forever change the way you view the natural world.
Showcasing Hoagland's extraordinary gifts for portraiture --- his cast runs from salty prospector to trader, explorer, missionary, and indigenous guide --- "Notes from the Century Before" is a breathtaking mix of anecdote and unparalleled elegy from one of the finest writers of our time.
The life and times of Johnny Appleseed. The adventures of New York City tugboatmen. Street life in Cairo and Dar es Salaam. The pains and paradoxes of being male and female; the dilemmas of an aging America; the unease of writers between books. The natural history of swallows, juneberries, owls, foxes, and toads. The fourteen essays in this brilliant collection cover all of the above and much more.
A fantastic Western romp by one of America's finest writers.
The nineteen essays in this important collection explore the New England wilderness including the Green and White Mountains and Maine - and also such a far-flung diversity of subjects as assassinations, dogs, jury duty, mountain lions, power, fame, women's liberation, life in New York City, boxing, freight cars, and much more.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.