- Table View
- List View
La casa en Mango Street es la historia de una chica que mueve a una casa nueva en Mango Street pero no quiere vivir en el barrio.
Historical fiction about Angelina Beloff who was the wife of the great Mexican artist Diego Rivera. After her child's death she sacrificed her talents for his.
Jesusa is a tough, fiery character based on a real working-class Mexican woman whose life spanned some of the seminal events of early twentieth-century Mexican history. Having joined a cavalry unit during the Mexican Revolution, she finds herself at the Revolution's end in Mexico City, far from her native Oaxaca, abandoned by her husband and working menial jobs. So begins Jesusa's long history of encounters with the police and struggles against authority. Mystical yet practical, undaunted by hardship, Jesusa faces the obstacles in her path with gritty determination. Here in its first English translation, Elena Poniatowska's rich, sensitive, and compelling blend of documentary and fiction provides a unique perspective on history and the place of women in twentieth-century Mexico.
The photographs of Las Soldaderas and Elena Poniatowska's remarkable commentary rescue the women of the Mexican Revolution from the dust and oblivion of history. These are the Adelitas and Valentinas celebrated in famous corridos mexicanos, but whose destiny was much more profound and tragic than the idealistic words of ballads. The photographs remind Poniatowska of the trail of women warriors that begins with the Spanish conquest and continues to Mexico's violent revolution. These women are valiant, furious, loyal, maternal, and hardworking; they wear a mask that is part immaculate virgin, part mother and wife, and part savage warrior; and they are joined together in the cruel hymn of blood and death from which they built their own history of the Revolution.The photographs are culled from the vast Casasola Collection in the Fototeca Nacional of the National Institute of Anthropology and History in Pachuca, Hidalgo, Mexico.
La piel del cielo es la historia de un hombre que busca en las posibilidades de la ciencia la explicación del mundo y que halla, en el proceso de esa búsqueda, el desafío del amor. La novela presenta una trama cuyo personaje central es Lorenzo de Tena, nacido alrededor de 1920 en México, de madre soltera y padre señorito. A la muerte de su madre se traslada, junto a sus hermanos, a la casa de su padre y de su tía Cayetana en la ciudad. Su brillantez intelectual le permite trabar amistad con los hijos de la clase más acomodada de México, pero su origen humilde y su carácter inconformista le apartarán del destino que se abre ante él como dirigente del país. La pasión de Lorenzo de Tena es la astronomía y la novela es un recorrido por su frustrante carrera como observador del cielo; sin embargo, es la tierra, con la sugerencia de su olor y de su aventura, la que le da el contrapunto a la obsesión por mirar más allá de las estrellas.
This fictionalized account of the life of Tina Modotti is a fascinating story of the complex woman caught up in the social and political turbulence of the pre-World War II era.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.