- Table View
- List View
Find beauty and hope by facing and dealing with the messiness of family life.The family is an imperfect institution. Broken people become broken parents who make broken families. But actually, broken is normal and exactly where God wants us.In The Beauty of Broken, Elisa Morgan, one of today's most respected female Christian leaders, for the first time shares her very personal story of brokenness--from her first family of origin to the second, represented by her husband and two grown children. Over the years, Elisa's family struggled privately with issues many parents must face, including:alcoholism and drug addictioninfertility and adoptionteen pregnancy and abortiondivorce, homosexuality, and deathEach story layers onto the next to reveal the brokenness that comes into our lives without invitation. "We've bought into the myth of the perfect family," says Elisa. "Formulaic promises about the family may have originated in well-meaning intentions, but such thinking isn't realistic. It's not helpful. It's not even kind."Instead she offers hope in the form of "broken family values" that allow parents to grow and thrive with God. Values such as commitment, humility, relinquishment, and respect carry us to new places of understanding. Owning our brokenness shapes us into God's best idea for us and enables us to discover the beauty in ourselves and each member of our family.
Chicken Soup for the Mother of Preschooler's Soul: Stories to Refresh and Rekindle the Spirit of Moms of Little Onesby Jack Canfield Mark Victor Hansen Carol Mcadoo Rehme Elisa Morgan Maria Nickless
What Any Mother of a Preschooler Needs (Besides a Week at a Spa!) Does your car CD collection range from The Best of Rock-n-Roll Classics to The Best of Barney? Does your idea of a good dinner out mean crayons and paper placemats for all? Can hearing the words, "I love you, Mommy" make your whole day? Then chances are good that you are not only a mother of a preschooler (or soon-to-be one), but that you are in need of some laughter, inspiration and camaraderie from other women who've been there. Let's face it: Our little bundles of joy and boundless energy don't come with instructions, and every mom undoubtedly thinks at one time or another: "Am I doing this right?!" In this uplifting collection, you'll find true stories about the day-to-day minutiae and miracles of being the mom to a preschooler: from finding peace and purpose in what can seem (and look!) like chaos; from solving sibling rivalry to celebrating sibling revelry; from the sorrow of letting go to enjoying some personal independence as your "big kid" goes off to school. Included are stories from well-known MOPS speakers, Lisa Moffitt and Rochelle Nelson. In just a few minutes of alone time these stories will give mothers of preschoolers a place to release the stresses of their day, connect with other moms who they can relate to and evoke much-needed laughter. Like only Chicken Soup can, these stories will rekindle your sense of self and spirit, and remind you how to enjoy this precious period of time in your life.
On the occasion of its 10-year anniversary, this revised and updated version of What Every Mom Needs takes a look at what moms need, or want, for themselves during the busy years of mothering young children. Morgan (President of MOPS International) and Kuykendall (Director of Strategic Projects at MOPS International) are candid and articulate as they explore how meeting her personal needs of Identity, Growth, Relationship, Help, Perspective, and Hope enables a woman to be a better mom.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.