- Table View
- List View
Jean Loftus has lived at Ashe House for more than 40 years. Its tidy contours, the soft colors of the garden, speak to an orderly, gracious, supremely English life. But when workmen unearth a skeleton from that garden, the skeletons from Jean's past begin rising to the surface. The life they speak of a childhood in Revolutionary Russia, chaotic years as a refugee between the two world wars was neither orderly nor English. Zita Daunsey, Jean's neighbor in this cozy Sussex town, would like to help Jean protect her secrets. But this task is made more difficult with the sudden arrival of a mysterious, aggressively inquisitive Russian student. What aging sin is Jean so anxious to conceal? And at what point does Zita become an accomplice to it?
In 1925 beautiful, bohemian Diana Pollexfen was celebrating her 30th birthday, but the celebrations soured when her husband died, poisoned by a cocktail laced with some of Diana's photographic chemicals. Sixty years later, Diana's grand-niece, Helena, is also turning 30, but with rather less fanfare. An overworked attorney in London, Helena's primary social outlet is an obsessive love affair. By way of distraction, Helena starts looking through her great-aunt's papers and soon develops another obsession: Determing just who did kill George Pollexfen in that lovely, sunlit garden between the wars.
At once a suspenseful mystery and a heartfelt tale of a man's attempts to sort out the tangled remains of a life torn apart by war ... Ironside's landscapes are rich, if decimated, and her characters extraordinarily intriguing--Birmingham Post (UK).
This is a great blend of mystery, with some humor thrown into it also, done in a style that will appeal to anyone that likes English murder mysteries.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.