- Table View
- List View
Jean Loftus has lived at Ashe House for more than 40 years. Its tidy contours, the soft colors of the garden, speak to an orderly, gracious, supremely English life. But when workmen unearth a skeleton from that garden, the skeletons from Jean's past begin rising to the surface. The life they speak of a childhood in Revolutionary Russia, chaotic years as a refugee between the two world wars was neither orderly nor English. Zita Daunsey, Jean's neighbor in this cozy Sussex town, would like to help Jean protect her secrets. But this task is made more difficult with the sudden arrival of a mysterious, aggressively inquisitive Russian student. What aging sin is Jean so anxious to conceal? And at what point does Zita become an accomplice to it?
In 1925 beautiful, bohemian Diana Pollexfen was celebrating her 30th birthday, but the celebrations soured when her husband died, poisoned by a cocktail laced with some of Diana's photographic chemicals. Sixty years later, Diana's grand-niece, Helena, is also turning 30, but with rather less fanfare. An overworked attorney in London, Helena's primary social outlet is an obsessive love affair. By way of distraction, Helena starts looking through her great-aunt's papers and soon develops another obsession: Determing just who did kill George Pollexfen in that lovely, sunlit garden between the wars.
At once a suspenseful mystery and a heartfelt tale of a man's attempts to sort out the tangled remains of a life torn apart by war ... Ironside's landscapes are rich, if decimated, and her characters extraordinarily intriguing--Birmingham Post (UK).
This is a great blend of mystery, with some humor thrown into it also, done in a style that will appeal to anyone that likes English murder mysteries.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.