- Table View
- List View
In 1940, Fala came to live with President Franklin D. Roosevelt in the White House. On sunny days, the little dog played in the grass outside the Oval Office. He attended important meetings with the president's advisors.
An intriguing exploration of a favorite pastime -- a trip to the beach. "One night in 1883, David Bradley's candy stand was swamped by a storm. Not one to take a direct hit from adversity, the next day he decided to call his candy salt water taffy. Although the taffy's been dry ever since, the name has stuck for the past hundred years." Did you know that women once wore corsets under their bathing suits (all drowning risks aside)? Or that beach-goers donned everything from wings to webbed gloves in hopes of learning how to swim? Or that hotel entrepreneurs lured wealthy customers to their seaside resorts with breakfast serenades from a forty-piece orchestra? From the bathhouses of the ancient Greeks to Muscle Beach and Coney Island, Let's Go to the Beach takes a historical, sociological, and geographical look at beaches and their attendant customs. With humor and intelligence, Elizabeth Van Steenwyk offers up an impressive overview of one of the world's greatest pastimes.
The year 1941 was pivotal in U. S. history. It was a time of transition and a time of waiting, waiting for events to occur that would change many lives forever. For eleven-year-old Maggie Calhoun it was a time of waiting, too. She was waiting for her mom's new baby to be born and waiting for her dad to get a new job out in California making airplanes for the war that was coming. That's why she and her brother, Cooper, were spending the summer with Uncle Dick and Aunt Bess in Oquawka. But Maggie was also waiting for something she couldn't name -- waiting to discover a secret she felt was being kept from her by her own family, a secret that involved her past and her future. A secret that would help her understand who she really was. With warmth and humor, author Elizabeth Van Steenwyk captures small town life in the Midwest during a unique time in America's history. She also gently reveals one young girl's self-discovery and growth during a special summer.
Sled-dog racing means everything to Scott McClure. It also helps keep his father's memory alive. Scott plans to form a new team of three sled dogs so that he can continue racing and become a champion like his dad. But life changes quickly when his mother remarries and they move from California to Montana. From the start, Scott has problems with his stepfather and his stepbrother, Brad. Scott won't let anything interfere with his dreams as he trains and races Kaylah, his Malamute, and the other dogs on the team. But Scott doesn't know the obstacles he must face.
In occupied Holland in 1944, thirteen-year-old Pieter becomes increasingly involved in the work of the Dutch Resistance even though he knows the risk of being discovered by the Nazi informer who lives in his village.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.