In this textbook there are many problems that ask you to look at situations in new and different way. This chapter offers some strategies to approach these problems. Although some of the problems in this chapter are fictitious, they give you a chance to practice skills that you will use throughout the book and throughout life.
The algebra you find in this book won't look quite like the algebra you may have seen in older textbooks. The mathematics we learn and teach in school has to change continually to reflect changes in our world. Our workplaces are changing, and technology is present everywhere, fundamentally changing the work we do. There are some new topics that are now possible to explore with technology, and some standard topics that can be approached in new ways.
A procedure that you do over and over, each time building on the previous stage, is recursive. You'll see recursion used in many different ways throughout this book. In this lesson you'll draw fractal design using a recursive procedure. After you draw the design, you'll work with fractions to examine its parts.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.