The remarkable story of collective and individual acts of bravery and altruism.
In this inspiring collection of true stories, thirty African-Americans who were children or teenagers in the 1950s and 1960s talk about what it was like for them to fight segregation in the South-to sit in an all-white restaurant and demand to be served, to refuse to give up a seat at the front of the bus, to be among the first to integrate the public schools, and to face violence, arrest, and even death for the cause of freedom.
A stirring, dramatic story of a slave who mails himself to freedom by a Jane Addams Peace Award-winning author and a Coretta Scott King Award-winning artist. <P> Henry Brown doesn't know how old he is. Nobody keeps records of slaves' birthdays. All the time he dreams about freedom, but that dream seems farther away than ever when he is torn from his family and put to work in a warehouse. Henry grows up and marries, but he is again devastated when his family is sold at the slave market. Then one day, as he lifts a crate at the warehouse, he knows exactly what he must do: He will mail himself to the North. After an arduous journey in the crate, Henry finally has a birthday -- his first day of freedom.<P> Winner of the Caldecott Honor
This book focuses on the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 1960s. An engaging question-and-answer format helps children learn what it was like to participate in the Montgomery Bus Boycott, stage a sit-in at a lunch counter, join the famous March on Washington, and more.
Children's book that takes you to San Francisco, California, shortly before, during and after April 18, 1906 -- the date of the Great San Francisco Earthquake.
A children's book describing what it was like to grow up in an Iroquois family hundreds of years ago.
This book tells you what it was like to be a slave trying to escape to freedom on the Underground Railroad.
A provocative question-and-answer format teaches young readers a multitude of facts about a small slice of American history--life on the Oregon Trail in the 1840s.
A great way to celebrate the centennial of the great immigration movement through Ellis Island, this unique, interactive history book encourages readers to step into the past with its question-and-answer format. It's also packed with quotes from children and adults who passed through Ellis Island.
Having lost his parents and sister in a river accident, Jedediah decides to make his way through a wild, new world to the Oregon Territory on his own.
This book is a biography of the famous sharpshooter who toured the country in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show.
Rachel Carson combined her love of science and writing in her award-winning and controversial book Silent Spring. Revealing the dangers of pesticide use, it brought readers a new awareness of humankind's contamination of the environment and ultimately led to the creation of the Environmental Protection Agency.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.