- Table View
- List View
Childhood memories of three black women - grandmother, mother, and daughter - who grew up between the 1880s and 1950s.
From the dust jacket: "The year is 1943, and two cousins--Leanna in Chicago and Elizabeth in Washington, D.C. --are getting ready for the Easter Parade. Even though Leanna doesn't quite know what to expect, she can barely contain her excitement. For Elizabeth and her mother, getting ready for the parade is another reminder of how much they miss Elizabeth's father, who is away fighting in the war. Money is tight, and they can't get any new finery. But a long-distance phone call--a rarity in those days--from a chipper Leanna and an important letter from overseas are enough to make Easter something special this year. Eloise Greenfield's moving story demonstrates the strength that love and hope give to women at all times.
Koya Delaney, an eleven-year-old African-American girl, has trouble expressing anger, until her cousin, a popular male singer, comes to town.
A biography of the black man who became a famous singer, actor, and spokesman for equal rights for his people.
Genny's parents are fighting . . . again. Her little sister is hiding in the bathroom. Still, Genny is hopeful. Tonight is the night her big brother Larry comes home from the army. Genny is confident that Larry will say exactly the right thing to make the family happy and loving again -- the way they used to be. But when Larry's return doesn't produce the miracle she had counted on, Genny is angry. It takes a sympathetic friend to help her understand that change isn't necessarily bad -- and that families can still love each other, no matter what happens.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.