- Table View
- List View
From the book jacket: Can you imagine what it would be like to cross a busy street if you were blind? You will learn how "seeing-eye" dogs are trained. In this easy to read nonfiction book students grades 2 - 4 can learn about Buddy the first Guide dog in America, about which breeds are used for guide work, about different ways the dogs are trained, and what a blind person and dog to during class. Other books in this series are available from Bookshare. There is also a chapter on guide dog instructors, costs and a glossary of useful terms. Breeds represented are Labrador retriever, Golden Retriever, and German Shepherd Dog.
Did you know a dog can be trained to "alert" deaf people to the sound of alarm clocks, doorbells, and other noises? Learn how these amazing canines are trained. For grades 2 - 4.
From the book Jacket: Dogs are being used in police departments around the world to find and catch criminals "in the act." Special training is required, and this book explains how this is done. This easy to read nonfiction book is suitable for students in Grades 2 - 4 to learn about the different jobs that dogs do in law enforcement, from sniffing out bombs and drugs, to helping to protect officers, find suspects in buildings, and help protect citizens from harm.
From the book Jacket: MILITARY DOGS Did you know dogs are trained to save soldiers' lives? Read how dogs are being trained today in the military to perform these tasks. This simple to read book designed for grades 2 - 4 will introduce people to the jobs that military dogs have done throughout history and today. The author also discusses different breeds of dogs used for military work and talks about a few famous military dogs.
What Kinds of breeds make good search and rescue dogs? What does a bloodhound look like? What organizations can you get involved with if uyou have a search and rescue dog? Is there a difference between a Air scenting and Man trailing dog? Find out the answers to these and many other questions in this fact filled book about search and rescue dogs and how they are trained. For grades 2 - 4 and of course older readers.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.