- Table View
- List View
An encyclopedic collection of vegetarian recipes from Italy--learn how to make all of the classic dishes without meat"Even though man can draw all he needs in the way of nourishment from a mere handful of seeds and fruit, he must not give up a proper meal." --Enrico AlliataEnrico Alliata, the Duke of Salaparuta (1879-1946), was a utopian gourmand and winemaker who espoused a vegetarian lifestyle and a raw foods diet at a time when the very notion was unheard of. He worked for decades to systematically re-imagine classic Italian dishes without meat. The result, first published in 1930, is a timeless reference work, with dishes that are surprising, inventive, and often decadent. Early chapters like "Appetizers and Salads" include recipes for inventive vegetarian sandwiches and crostini, as well as refreshing salads (and even a recipe for simple homemade ricotta cheese). "Broths and Purees" includes rich and flavorful vegetable broths, hearty purees, and pasta in broth, like vegetarian 'Agnollotti' in broth filled with parmesan and walnuts. The "First Courses, Pasta Dishes and Timballi" chapter is a comprehensive collection of authentic Italian recipes for gnocchi, risotto, polenta, ravioli, from Risotto 'alla Milanese' with saffron, nutmeg, and parmesan to Sicilian Style Gnocchi, with fried eggplant and tomato sauce. "Luncheon Dishes, Vegetables, Legumes and Side Dishes" features preparations for eggplant and artichokes, and is a great go-to for quick side dishes and lighter vegetarian meals. His main dishes chapters include a variety of casseroles and soufflés, and the Duke even has several preparations for mock meats, such as vegetarian "Foie Gras Mousse" made with ricotta cheese and black truffles. Much more than a recipe book, The Duke's Table is a major re-discovery and a fascinating look into the philosophy of a food revolutionary who was truly before his time.From the Hardcover edition.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.