- Table View
- List View
This is a collection of four science fiction stories including: Enough Rope by Poul Anderson; The Claustrophile by Theodore Sturgeon; The Children's Hour by Henry Kuttner, and Plus X by Eric Frank Russell.
13 short stories from the science fiction author.
MISSION OF EMPIREEarthmen had colonized hundreds of planets in the four centuries of deep space exploration--independent new civilizations founded by the discontented and adventurous of Terra.Trouble was, they were too independent--and the Terran government had ambitions for a space empire. A giant battle cruiser went out into the starlanes, with instructions to persuade the colonial planets to join the Empire--and with a couple of thousand troops to back up the persuasion !It looked like an interesting, if easy, mission--after all, what kind of opposition could a bunch of backwoods planets offer to the most advanced military power in the Galaxy?Quite a lot, as it turned out ... and all of it wildly unexpected!One of the "old pros" of science-fiction, Eric Frank Russell has, in THE GREAT EXPLOSION, written a fast-paced and compelling adventure--a fascinating look at a possible tomorrow.A satirical Classic.
The history of contemporary science fiction begins with the spring of 1926, when the first magazine ever to be devoted entirely to science fiction made its appearance. For a quarter-century thereafter science fiction continued to appear in magazines--and only in magazines.
This book of eight short science fiction stories includes: The Turning Wheel by Philip K. Dick, Unreasonable Facsimile by Lester Del Rey, Heav'n, Heav'n by Eric Frank Russell, Venus Trap by Robert Silverberg, Telestassis by M. C. Pease, Wapshot's Demon by Frederik Pohl, The Case for Earth by Eric Frank Russell, The Outcasts by George H. Smith.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.