- Table View
- List View
In the picture-perfect seaside village of Lady Helen, South Africa, Monica Brunetti has the life of her dreams--two adopted sons, fulfilling work, loyal friends and a special closeness with her former housekeeper, Francina. What's more, she's in love. Then everything comes tumbling down. Monica's happiness is destroyed by a young girl's resentment. Francina, too, is plunged into grief. And a series of crimes rocks the village. Yet Monica must go on, as a mother and a journalist and a woman of faith--who believes, even in her darkest hour, that the risks of love are worth taking.
A loving husband, two beautiful adopted sons, an amiable stepdaughter and the possibility of an addition to the family--Monica Brunetti has it all. But suddenly her idyllic life in a picturesque South African village unravels. Her boys respond to the siren call of America, and her husband's daughter may be leaving as well. Change might be easier to bear if only a baby were on the way. . . . Then Monica's friend Francina, also threatened with an empty nest, sets off on what may be a fool's errand--or her household's salvation. Can Monica, too, find the faith and courage to reunite her family?
South African journalist Monica Brunetti had it all- promising career, loving family, marriage-minded boyfriend. Then a life-changing encounter landed her in a hospital bed next to gregarious Ella Nkhoma, whose wit and caring challenged Monica's worldview. Their remarkable friendship would lead Monica far from the gated white suburbs, and toward a parting that left both women transformed-and Monica the mother of two sons.
When journalist Monica Brunetti enters the town of Lady Helen, she is awed by its beauty. The picturesque South African village takes hold of her heart, especially the beleaguered residents of Sandpiper Drift, who are threatened with eviction from their tranquil neighborhood beside the lagoon. And so Monica packs up her laptop, her adopted sons and her housekeeper, Francina--who's wrestling with a major decision of her own--for the journey of a lifetime.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.