- Table View
- List View
The industrial and agricultural revolutions have dramatically changed our lifestyles including where we get foods and what we eat. Modern diets have moved away from a close association with historically beneficial foods and diets towards foods and diets with increased fats and contaminants and with much lower intakes of fruits and vegetables. Modern Dietary Fat Intakes in Disease Promotion focuses on the scientific evidence that define such risks in modern diets with the consequences of increased illness, cancer and disease. There is also an emphasis on methods to reverse negative components of modern diets for health improvement. The volume is divided into six sections. The first section focuses on the behavioral aspects of eating and is followed by sections on fats, obesity and cardiovascular disease and fats and cholesterol. The fourth section contains novel chapters on the potential for contaminants in fats and oils to increase risk of illnesses. The fifth section examines fat induced disease and ill-health. The sixth section looks at dietary and pharmaceutical approaches to modify fat-induced disease and ill-health. Each section contains chapters that address treatment options as well as prevention strategies. Modern Dietary Fat Intakes in Disease Promotion provides practical, data-driven resources based upon the totality of the evidence to help the reader understand both the basics as well as treatments and preventive strategies that are involved in balancing the fats in one's diet as well as within one's body.
Over the last several years developing human research suggests that a component of omega-3 fatty acids, long chain ones, contribute particularly to health benefits. Omega-6/3 Fatty Acids: Functions, Sustainability Strategies and Perspectives focuses on developing information on this newly recognized key component. This volume uniquely, and for the first time, focuses on sustainability of natural sources of omega-3 fatty acids variants including long chain ones, and on ways to increase their use and availability to reduce major diseases. The authors review cardiovascular disease, neurological changes and mental health and other diseases like diabetes where long chain omega-3 fatty acids play protective roles from recent human trials. Each chapter evaluates developing information on the possible mechanistic role of long chain omega-3 fatty acids. After showing their requirement and involvement in health promotion there are reviews of various sources and ways to protect and promote them. Authors provide support for the benefits and sources of long chain omega-3 fatty acids and their increased dietary intake that reduce various physical and mental illnesses. Omega-6/3 Fatty Acids: Functions, Sustainability and Perspectives is a unique and important new volume that provides the latest data and reviews to physicians who need to assess serum omega-6/3 and fatty acids to help diagnose risks and change diets and to inform industry and the scientific community with reviews of research for actions including new studies and therapies.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.