While waiting for a delayed airplane, old Henry Dailey, the Black's trainer, tells young Alec Ramsay a story of his own youth, travelling with his brother, Bill. Bill Dailey's talent as a horse-whisperer was unmatched in the days before the automobile and young Henry tells of an unscrupulous con-man who mistreats horses into behaving temporarily. Bill is determined to show that the man is a fraud, but can he unmask the con without getting hurt?Walter Farley experimented with many genres of writing and here, in his only foray into historical fiction, he weaves a fascinating tale of life when horses were the primary means of transportation.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Tim and his horse Tena loved galloping along the beach and making friends with the sea creatures, including a friendly porpoise. One day when Tena decided to have some fun on her own she swam too far out. Tim was frantic with worry. How could he save her? Read this thrilling story to find out what happened. It's different from anything you've ever read before! Other books by Walter Farley are available from Bookshare.
When Steve Duncan is asked to go on an archeological search on a remote Caribbean island, he never imagines the stallion he will find there. But the giant horse is unapproachable, showing nothing but fear and fury towards people. When the stallion gets caught in quicksand, can Steve get close enough to save the wild horse?From the Trade Paperback edition.
More than anything, Steve Duncan dreams of racing his huge, wild stallion, Flame. The horse is untrained, but incredibly fast and Steve just wants to show him off. When two strangers show up and offer to make Steve's dream a reality, Steve cannot believe his luck. But soon he realizes that a professional racetrack is no place for an unbroken stallion.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Only Steve Duncan and his friend Pitch know of the valley hidden behind the high cliffs of the remote Caribbean Azul Island. And only the two of them know of the beautiful, purebred horses that live there, under the watchful eye of the great red stallion, Flame. But when Pitch's half-brother Tom learns of this lost paradise, he will stop at nothing to make it his own, even if he has to destroy it.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Walter Farley, with his seamless storytelling, chronicles the life story of the horse most horse lovers continue to regard as America's greatest Thoroughbred. Through the eyes of a fictional stableboy, Danny Ryan, Farley makes the intricate world of the "Sport of Kings" accessible and exciting to horse lovers and racing fans of all ages. Book jacket.
When Alec receives the Black Stallion's first son as a gift, he believes his dreams have come true, but Satan's savage arrogance makes him dangerous and unpredictable. Still, Alec is resolved to gain the fiery colt's trust, even if he must risk his life to do it.From the Trade Paperback edition.
In this prequel to The Black Stallion, we learn the story of the Black before he was shipwrecked with Alec Ramsay. Born in the mountain stronghold of Sheikh Abu Ishak, the colt shows great promise. During a band of robbers' attempt to steal him, the colt escapes and learns to survive on his own in the high mountains. Will he ever find his way home?From the Trade Paperback edition.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.