- Table View
- List View
A celebration of Jewish kosher cooking and tradition This expert cookbook offers all the recipes and information any cook needs to celebrate Passover, Rosh Hashanah, and many other Jewish holidays. 1,000 Jewish Recipes includes instructions for maintaining a kosher kitchen, information on the delicious culinary heritage of Jewish cultures, and tempting and easy-to-follow recipes such as Three-Cheese Knishes and Old-Fashioned Roast Chicken.
This book will prove that you can prepare quick meals that are low in fat and still taste great. The recipes will make use of bold seasonings that instantly add flavor without the need for long simmering. The book is organized around main courses, with chapters broken down into menus with poultry or meat, menus with fish or seafood, vegetarian menus and pasta menus. In addition, an introductory chapter will offer strategies for quick, low-fat cooking, including tips on picking fresh ingredients, stocking a pantry and cooking techniques. The menus will follow today's flexible dining habits. Some menus serve two, and others serve four. Most menus will include three recipes, but they will not all follow the traditional pattern of appetizer, main course and dessert. Sometimes, for example, there will be a main course with two accompaniments. Those menus that do not include desserts will have suggestions for simple desserts (usually seasonal fruit, frozen yogurt or other desserts already in the book) that would complement the menu well.
Taste, speed, and ease are the main ingredients in this cookbook for the health-conscious vegetarian. The recipes make use of bold seasonings that give maximum flavor with minimum preparation, and each menu serves two or four. Most meals include three recipes built around a main dish with chapters broken down into menus featuring: pasta, beans, rice, or other grains; one-pot menus; soup; salads; and "savory and sweet" recipes.
Faye Levy's International Jewish Cookbook presents over 300 mouth-watering recipes from all over the world.
Thanks to the ever-increasing number of kosher products available to home cooks, it's never been easier or more satisfying to prepare delicious, wholesome, and healthful kosher meals. In this new collection of exciting recipes, acclaimed journalist, cooking teacher, and cookbook author Faye Levy presents a progressive, upbeat approach to nutritious kosher cuisine that highlights the pleasure of preparing and eating mouthwatering dishes that promote well-being. Kosher foods are being used in more and more American homes, and their abundance and diversity is increasing at an impressive rate. From the traditional to the exotic, from extra-virgin olive oil to tasty cheeses, from spicy condiments to Asian-style sauces, from Latin flavors to Indian, Levy introduces both novice and seasoned cooks to a grand array of international ingredients. By showcasing them in such dishes as Poached Turkey with Mushrooms, Wheat Berries, and Dill; Diced Vegetable Salad with Pepitas and Papaya; Marseilles-Style Fish with Saffron and Fennel; and Turkish Autumn Vegetable Casserole with Chicken, she shows how they will add zest to any menu while maintaining solid nutritional value. With a focus on foods with substantial health benefits, such as nuts, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, Levy revamps old favorites, turning them into updated wholesome creations, including Springtime Chicken Soup with Asparagus, Fava Beans, and Whole Wheat Matzo Balls; Passover Haroset with Pistachios and Pomegranate Juice; Rosh Hashanah Chicken with Dates and Almonds; and Apple Apricot Whole Wheat Noodle Kugel. She introduces new classics to the festive Jewish kitchen, such as Cucumber, Jicama, and Orange Salad with Black Olives; Buckwheat Blintzes with Goat Cheese and Ratatouille; Spicy White Bean Soup with Kale; Purim Baked Turkey Schnitzel with Sweet-Sour Onion Compote; and Macadamia Orange Cake with Red Berry Sauce. Whether you're cooking for yourself and your family any day of the week or preparing a holiday feast for friends and relatives, Healthy Cooking for the Jewish Home is bound to satisfy all your culinary needs. Variety is not only the spice of life; it's also the spice of nourishing menus. The two hundred healthful, tasty, innovative kosher recipes in this book are sure to add inspiration to your menus and variety to your daily eating, as well as zest to the lives of those who share your table.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.