- Table View
- List View
Shell-shocked and missing a foot, lost to an IED during his tour of duty in Afghanistan, Captain Tom Forsyth uses his finely honed military skills to find the person blackmailing his estranged mother--the first lady of British racing--who is being forced to make her horses lose.
Max Moreton is a rising culinary star, but when almost all of the guests at a catered affair get severe food poisoning, his kitchen is shuttered and his reputation takes a huge hit. Scrambling to meet to his next obligation, an exclusive luncheon for 40 in the glass-fronted private boxes at the 2000 Guineas race, Max must overcome the previous evening's disaster and provide the new American sponsors of the year's first Classic race with a day to remember. Then a bomb rips through the private boxes, killing several of his staff and many guests. As survivors are rushed to the hospital, he surveys the ruins of the grandstand and of his career.
When race caller and television presenter Mark Shillingford calls a race in which his twin sister, Clare, an accomplished and successful jockey, comes in second when she could have won, he believes the worst: that she lost on purpose, and the race was fixed. That night, Mark confronts Clare with his suspicions, she storms off after an argument--and it's the last time Mark sees her alive. Hours later, Clare jumps to her death from the balcony of a London hotel . . . or so it seems. Devastated and guilty over her death, Mark goes in search of answers. What had led Clare to take her own life? Or was it not suicide at all?
Felix Francis continues his father's New York Times- bestselling legacy with another edge-of-your-seat read that's classic Francis. Nicholas "Foxy" Foxton, a former jockey who suffered a career- ending injury, is out for a day at the Grand National races when his friend and coworker Herb Kovak is murdered, execution style, right in front of him-and 60,000 other potential witnesses. Foxton and Kovak were both independent financial advisers at Lyall & Black, a firm specializing in extreme-risk investments. As he struggles to come to terms with Kovak's seemingly inexplicable death, Foxton begins to question everything, from how well he knew his friend to how much he understands about his employer. Was Kovak's murder a case of mistaken identity. . . or something more sinister?
Dick Franciss beloved investigator Sid Halley returns in the riveting new mystery by New York Times-bestselling author Felix Francis. Six years ago, investigator Sid Halley retired for good. Hed been harassed, beaten, shot, even lost a hand to his investigating business, and enough was enough. For the sake of his wife and new daughter he gave up that life of danger and uncertainty, and he thought nothing would ever lure him back into the game. He thought wrong. Sir Richard Stewart, chairman of the racing authority, begs Sid to investigate a series of dodgy races. Sid adamantly refuses, but the following day, Sir Richard is found dead under suspicious circumstances. And then a man with an Irish accent contacts Sid, telling him to deliver a whitewashed report about the suspected race-fixing . . . or else. At first Sid ignores these warnings, knowing that once he submits to this criminal bully, he will forever be under his control. But as the intimidation tactics escalate--and Sids own family comes under threat--Sid realizes he must meet his enemy head-on . . . or he might pay the ultimate price for his refusal.
The New York Times-bestselling authors return with a heart-stopping new novel. On the first day of Royal Ascot, the world's most famous horse race, the crowd rejoices in a string of winning favorites. Ned Talbot has worked all his life as a bookmaker-- taking over the family business from his grandfather-- so he knows not to expect any sympathy from the punters as they count their winnings, and he his losses. He's seen the ups and downs before-- but, as the big gambling conglomerates muscle in on small concerns like his, Ned wonders if it's worth it any more. When a gray-haired man steps forward from the crowd claiming to be his father, Ned's life is thrown into far deeper turmoil. He'd been told since he was a baby that his parents had died in a car crash. Barely an hour later, his newly found father is stabbed by an unknown assailant in the Ascot parking lot. Blood oozing from his abdomen, his father warns Ned to "be very careful." But of whom? Of what? Ned finds himself in a race to solve his father's riddle-- a race where coming in second could cost him more than even money-- it could cost him his life...
When defense lawyer Geoffrey Mason hears Julian Trent being convicted of murder, he assumes that Trent will be behind bars for a long time. Little does he realize he'll be looking at Trent very soon.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.