- Table View
- List View
Set in Melbourne, Australia, this tale of intrigue and murder was the bestselling crime novel of the nineteenth century In the early morning hours, two men enter a hansom cab. When the first man exits the cab, the driver continues on to the second's destination--only to discover upon arrival that the remaining passenger is dead, murdered in the backseat. Police detective Samuel Gorby believes the solution to the crime is as simple as identifying the passengers. But Kilsip, Gorby's rival on the force, thinks the case is more complicated, and Defense Attorney Duncan Calton concurs. Upon further investigation, the mystery takes a series of strange and unsettling turns, leading the investigators into dark, secret places they never imagined they would go. Praised for its moody atmosphere, complex plot, colorful characters, and realistic depiction of gold-rush-era Melbourne, Fergus Hume's The Mystery of a Hansom Cab was an international sensation, outselling such classic mysteries as A Study in Scarlet and The Woman in White. It has been ranked by the Sunday Times as one of the one hundred best crime stories of all time. This ebook has been professionally proofread to ensure accuracy and readability on all devices.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.