- Table View
- List View
Frank DeFord tells the heartbreaking, yet uplifting story of his daughter Alex's brief life. She died of cystic fibrosis at the age of eight.
The best sports writing of 1993 includes an article over 100 pages long about a Chicago high school basketball team, that reads more like a novel than a sports article. The sport emphasis in this issue is on both baseball and basketball.
Gavin Grey is everyone's All-American. A star running back at the University of North Carolina in the late 1950s, he graces the covers ofTimeandLIFEmagazines and appears on the "Ed Sullivan Show. " Everyone wants a piece of him or to be around him to bask in his glory, including his nephew Donny, who narrates the story and is Gavin's only real confidant. After college, Gavin goes on to the NFL where he has a solid career. As his playing days wind down and the cheering stops, however, he finds the adjustment to life as an ex-athlete difficult to accept. His wife "Babs" goes off to work, becomes the primary breadwinner for the family while Gavin continues to trade on his memories of old times, when he was everybody's All-American.
If true love can travel across time, can true evil be far behind?When the beautiful Dr. Nina Winston's patient Bucky Buckingham reveals his secret to her, she has to doubt him. Reincarnation? True love across four centuries? But Nina is fascinated and lets herself be drawn into the charming and vulnerable Bucky's tale and into his life. Through hypnotherapy, she meets his former identity, and in real life, she meets his former paramour. If Bucky did live before, is Constance Rawlings his reincarnated lover? A dangerous search begins for the truth behind predestined love, and Nina is caught in the middle of soaring passions and raging jealousies. Peter Paul Rubens's painting, Venus and Adonis, which hangs in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, is the inspiration for this fast-paced thriller set alternately between the seventeenth century in Antwerp and the present day in New York. A novel of intrigue and suspense, The Other Adonis is a tale of true love and murder, a mystery that takes the reader back in time to another world, with a resolution that will delight romantics and turn skeptics into believers.
An unconventional tale as wide-ranging as Deford's remarkable career, in which he has chronicled the heroes and the characters of just about every sport in nearly every medium, from the 1960s until today.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.